file Printing own cards

29 Jul 2014 12:38 - 29 Jul 2014 12:39 #64374 by Labrat
Printing own cards was created by Labrat
The organisation (for lack of a better word) that I play with in South Africa has brought the subject of printing our own “pirated” versions of the game cards to increase the chance of new players and to increase the card pool and the variety of decks out there.

At the moment the votes are 80% against copies and 20% for.

I’m in the 20% minority especially after the news from Board Game Geek.
What does the rest of the world think?
Last edit: 29 Jul 2014 12:39 by Labrat.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2014 12:44 #64376 by cordovader
Replied by cordovader on topic Re: Printing own cards
The rest of the world usually thinks that there is no problem in playing your "own copies" on unsanctioned tournaments.

BTW, playing then on sanctioned tournaments goes against the rules.

More
29 Jul 2014 13:06 #64379 by Labrat
Replied by Labrat on topic Re: Printing own cards
So let me put the question this way, if we changed the rules for sanctioned play to allow copied cards, would that be a good or a bad thing for the game as a whole?

More
29 Jul 2014 13:20 #64381 by kombainas
Replied by kombainas on topic Re: Printing own cards
It would f*ck up any chance possible for any legal entity to invest in the game. If we officially support and encourage piracy, we reduce potential profits for anyone picking up the game through all the legal pathways.

If everyone prints Enkil Cogs (and brings them to ECs/NACs and any other gatherings to sell for printing price, there is not much to benefit for the legal vendor. With Enkil Cogs going 100 $+, it would be reasonable to assume, that quite a few people would gladly pay 20 $ for any precon featuring Enkil Cog. This way, you can predict a certain fraction of your earnings after investing in IP.

!malk! :OBF: :DEM: :cel: :cap6: Sabbat. If this vampire's bleed is successful, he laughs manicly and untaps.

More
29 Jul 2014 13:22 #64382 by cordovader
Replied by cordovader on topic Re: Printing own cards
I think the IC is working on that (asking the playerbase, seeing if the game will ever get reprinted etc.), but I am not suited to answer that, you should get that answer from an official IC member I guess.

More
29 Jul 2014 13:36 #64383 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic Re: Printing own cards
The idea of allowing proxies or printouts of difficult/expensive-to-acquire cards was proposed at the National Coordinator meeting at the Stockholm EC. It was agreed that we'd defer the idea for a year so we can see if there's any substantial update on getting the game back in print, and to test the idea of proxies in a tournament environment. It is to my understanding that such testing has been done in France for the French National Championship and its national qualifiers (not its continental qualifiers). It is also to my understanding that negotiations among OneBookshelf.com, White Wolf, and Hasbro are ongoing, but haven't had an update in about a year (apart from the sudden news that Fantasy Flight Games was in and then out of negotiations).

So, at the EC in Mannheim, we'll see what our French colleagues have to say about their proxy experiment, and we'll see if Johannes Walch or Steve Wieck have anything material to report. From there, we'll make a decision (or perhaps defer the decision again) on what to do (or not do) about allowing proxies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Juggernaut1981, mikelosaurus

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds