file tapping timing

18 Dec 2014 17:52 #68247 by delangen
tapping timing was created by delangen
Hi,

Is tapping things... like book of nod, barrens,dreams of sphinx and now the enoia's theatre etc... to increase hand size or draw into gooder shit... during an action or combat legit? I think I might be confusing it with the haeidelberg change... I tried reading card rulings and general rulings.

Thanks

RjdL

:aus: :dom: :tha: :for: :trem:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2014 18:43 #68248 by Dorrinal
Replied by Dorrinal on topic Re: tapping timing
Absolutely. Heidelberg Castle is the exception to the rule due to (most recent) card text.

:trem:

More
18 Dec 2014 20:10 #68250 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Re: tapping timing

Hi,

Is tapping things... like book of nod, barrens,dreams of sphinx and now the enoia's theatre etc... to increase hand size or draw into gooder shit... during an action or combat legit? I think I might be confusing it with the haeidelberg change... I tried reading card rulings and general rulings.

More or less any time you're able to play a card, you could, say, use Dreams, tap The Barrens, activate Alexandra's special to untap a Toreador etc. After you do so, the acting Methuselah has the next opportunity to play a card or effect, by the normal sequencing rules. vekn.net/rulebook/1-terms-and-components-of-the-game , section 1.6.1.5

The two major 'exceptions' are:

1) Card text. Heidelberg can't be used during an action, because of its card text. And all combats are during some action or another.

2) When a card is being played, in the window to cancel it with (for example) Direct Intervention, Wash, Not To Be, Power of All etc. The only things that can go in that window are:
- Wakes and similar cards that allow you to react as if untapped
- cards that say to play them "as a card is played" (like the cancellers above)

That's in 1.6.1-and-a-bit from the same link above:

Some effects can cancel a card "as it is played." These effects (and effects that grant the ability to play them, like Forced Awakening) are the only effects allowed during the "as played" time period of another card. Even drawing to replace cards comes after this time period.

What this basically means in practice is that when it comes to cancelling cards, you have to decide based on the cards in your hand right now, rather than thinking about tapping The Barrens to see if you can draw into a Death Seeker, or using Dreams to see if you can pull a Dark Influences, or whatever.

More
18 Dec 2014 21:47 #68251 by delangen
Replied by delangen on topic Re: tapping timing
Excellent thanks,

so tapping to try and draw into an 'as it is played' cancelling type card would be useless because it is no linger as it is played, but is fine to try and draw a prevent damage or how about to cancel a TARGET XXX card they don'T say as it is played... they usually say: can discard x combat cards to blah, blah ,blah...anytime before strike resolution, right?

Target Vitals

[Combat] Combat

Aim. Play when choosing a strike.
If any damage from this strike is successfully inflicted on the opposing minion, he or she takes an additional 2 damage from this strike, and he or she cannot press this round. The opposing minion may discard two combat cards [COMBAT] to cancel this card. A minion may play only one aim each strike

thanks again

RjdL

:aus: :dom: :tha: :for: :trem:

More
18 Dec 2014 22:11 #68254 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Re: tapping timing

so tapping to try and draw into an 'as it is played' cancelling type card would be useless because it is no linger as it is played, but is fine to try and draw a prevent damage or how about to cancel a TARGET XXX card they don'T say as it is played... they usually say: can discard x combat cards to blah, blah ,blah...anytime before strike resolution, right?

Prior to becoming V:TES Rules Director, Pascal Bertrand ruled (at the EC 2010) that you cancelled it as it was played, and had to have both combat cards in your hand there and then.

[unofficial FZD 20101213]

What is the timing to discard cards to cancel Target: Vitals?
=> It can be cancelled as it is played, which is before it is
replaced. You need 2 combat cards in your hand (you can't discard one,
replace, and discard the second).

For what it's worth, that's how I'd rule in a tournament scenario where I didn't know (or couldn't find) something more specific.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.056 seconds