file Newbie

05 Jul 2015 14:28 #71950 by BronzMamba
Newbie was created by BronzMamba
Hello!

Im new to all this like got to know this card game exists 1h ago. I am from Latvia as far as I could find out this movement is not active in my country.

Any tips where should I start? Where can I get the cards? Maybe someone close to Latvia who can help a new player out? I saw there was a group in Lithuania?

And I hope I did not completely miss with the section for this topic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2015 16:20 - 06 Jul 2015 16:26 #71964 by brettscho
Replied by brettscho on topic Re: Newbie
Hello, and welcome! This is a fantastic game to get into - especially if there is a play group in your area (I'm from the States, so I can't help you with European play groups). As for getting into the game, I think your best options are either buying somebody else's collection off of Ebay (you should be able to get a bulk deal on cards, but you may have to wait until a collection is being sold), or going to Walch and Nusser (www.vtes.de/catalog/index.php). They are one of the few stores that still sells sealed VTES product, and they are a European-only store. It looks like they have a really good selection of starter decks (much better than can be found in the States!). I'd suggest that you identify which clans appeal to you and buy a box of staters, which comes with 2 copies of 4 different decks. The reason you'll want 2 copies is for extra cards - often you can build a very nice deck from two identical starter decks.

As for sets, they still have Keepers of Tradition decks which are very good and very hard to get here in the states (a box of starters is on Ebay right now for ~$300!), and there are some nice cards in there. Third edition is also nice, but it has the annoying property that the card back is "flipped" so it looks different from the other cards. If you put your cards into opaque sleeves, you'll never notice the difference, but it is annoying. My suggestion is that you buy a box of starters for each (if you can). That will give you a nice base of cards to work off of. It's also how I started the game (I got into it after it stopped being printed, too).

Finally, a word about Vampires. Each crypt card has a group number associated with it (1-6). Your deck may only have crypt cards from two adjacent groups (so you could have groups 1&2, or 2&3, but not 1&3). The reason why this is important is that if you buy starters, you'll want to pick sets that have vampires from the same or similar groups. As an example from my own past (I got into this game after it stopped being published, too), buying starters from the Black Hand set and from Third Edition seems like a good idea (both sets focus on the Sabbat), but really isn't become most vampires from Black Hand are group 2, and most vampires from Third Edition are Group 4, meaning that you can't play with both. Keepers and Third Edition both feature vampires from group 4 (hence my suggestion above). Note that this vampire group thing is the only deck building restriction in the game (well, other than the tiny list of banned cards).

If you want to know more about the starter decks, you can go to the awesome Secret Library site and check them out ( www.secretlibrary.info/index.php?deck=precon ). I hope all of that helps, and again, welcome to the community! May your bleeds never be bounced, and all your votes pass!

Check out my VTES blog: Gaming with BS

I also host a google doc which separates the TWDA into clans . That means I track how often clans win, which crypt groups get used, and how many people attend events. You can access all of that info here:
Last edit: 06 Jul 2015 16:26 by brettscho.

More
06 Jul 2015 16:50 #71965 by brettscho
Replied by brettscho on topic Re: Newbie
Oh, and one more piece of advice - Blood Shadowed Court is a set of 100 group 3 vampires. It's a fantastic way to get new vampires, especially if you are thinking about Third Edition and Keepers (group 4, so you can play with both together). And finally, there are two small sets that VEKN that are print-and-play. These mostly contain group 5 and 6 vampires. Hope all of that helps! Welcome again!

Check out my VTES blog: Gaming with BS

I also host a google doc which separates the TWDA into clans . That means I track how often clans win, which crypt groups get used, and how many people attend events. You can access all of that info here:

More
07 Jul 2015 05:30 #71972 by BronzMamba
Replied by BronzMamba on topic Re: Newbie
Tnx a bunch brettscho. I think you need to ask for paycheck from vtes.de

Just bought out all the packs they had with Malkavian cards in them in two copies :). Now just have to wait and get someone else hooked on this who is local :P
btw I love this so much I like everything around these kindred series and I have a whole new experience ahead of me!! YAY!

More
07 Jul 2015 06:38 #71974 by kombainas
Replied by kombainas on topic Re: Newbie
We have a group in Vilnius, so feel free to bug us to host a tournament ;) Normal playdays are Tuesdays, so I am not sure it would be reasonable to join for casual games.

!malk! :OBF: :DEM: :cel: :cap6: Sabbat. If this vampire's bleed is successful, he laughs manicly and untaps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds