lightbulb EC Day1 Final - Verbatim

01 Sep 2015 06:00 #72852 by Pascal Bertrand
If Jorge ends up in a duel with the !Gangrel deck, someone else than him has 2 vps. The best he can get in that duel is 2vps. Since he's 5th seed, that means he doesn't win the final, even if he ouata the !Gangrel in the duel.
So Jorge, in order to win the final, needs 3VPs. The only way to do that (because there was no way Selim wasn't ousting Selen) was to win a duel against Selim.
So, fromy point of view, since Danilo was already out and Selen was about to get ousted, it was the smartest move to do everything Jorge could do not to let Erik get a VP.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Sep 2015 06:08 #72854 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Re: EC Day1 Final - Verbatim

If Jorge ends up in a duel with the !Gangrel deck, someone else than him has 2 vps. The best he can get in that duel is 2vps. Since he's 5th seed, that means he doesn't win the final, even if he ouata the !Gangrel in the duel.
So Jorge, in order to win the final, needs 3VPs. The only way to do that (because there was no way Selim wasn't ousting Selen) was to win a duel against Selim.
So, fromy point of view, since Danilo was already out and Selen was about to get ousted, it was the smartest move to do everything Jorge could do not to let Erik get a VP.

Ah, that´s right, stupid of me. But ok, one more thing: Wouldn´t it be in Jorges interest that Selim is as weak as possible, when they enter the heads up? I saw Selim asking Jorge to take bounced bleeds and helping Selim in other ways. (Sorry, just trying to learn something here!)

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
01 Sep 2015 06:29 #72856 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: EC Day1 Final - Verbatim

Ah, that´s right, stupid of me. But ok, one more thing: Wouldn´t it be in Jorges interest that Selim is as weak as possible, when they enter the heads up? I saw Selim asking Jorge to take bounced bleeds and helping Selim in other ways. (Sorry, just trying to learn something here!)

Probably in an ideal world. But not helping Selim on that bounce for instance could jeopardize the fact that Jorge and Selim enters a duel. The longer the game stays stalled, the more likely something wrong can happen (someone gets ousted / someone gets rushed etc.), and the more likely the game is going to time out.
The game lasts only two hours, so you can't wait forever that the situation gets better.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
01 Sep 2015 07:36 #72861 by Ashur
Replied by Ashur on topic Re: EC Day1 Final - Verbatim

Probably in an ideal world.

Which reminds me of something someone (Enrico?) actually said in my last game at day 2: "Yes, in an ideal world. But this is the World of Darkness!"

OK. I just didn´t think Selim ever was in serious danger, but maybe he was.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."

More
01 Sep 2015 10:22 #72862 by cordovader

Hahah yes my first turn master on one of the day2 tables was to play Giant's Blood on Marcin's anarch convert. Very funny!

This was my first international final table and it was really fun and really frustrating at the same time.

Jorge didn't play badly at all I think. Just take a look at the seating he got. What a nightmare for his deck.

/Erik

I think I didn't play bad at the beginninng of the final table, but like 30 min towards the end I fealt too tired and sick to think clearly and I forgot to take blood from Blood Dolls, play master cards etc. Anyway, I think it wouldn't have changed the score.

It was a really hard final table for me. I was even thinking if I could have get a better deal with Selim, but even if I had dealt him not bringing more vampires out till the heads up, he could have just played govern sup and brought them out as soon as I ousted you.

In the end it was a balance between trying to prepare for the duel and ousting you, but given that I had only 4 vampires and I knew Selim was going to play ToGP, I was simply screwed.

Anyway, as you could see I always kept defense (vampires untapped, wakes and Delaying Tactics in hand), just in case Selim wished to break the deal.

Basicly the final table was decided since the moment Selen chose her seating, since she didn't know what the rest of the finalists were playing. If she had seated as predator of Selim, the results would have been very different.

I had lots of fun playing with Erik, someone I didn't knew before the EC and I played two tables with him (round 2 plus finals). I hope we meet in the future. :)

PD : I really liked your Yolo Swag deck. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ashur, Zenedar

More
01 Sep 2015 14:08 #72865 by thelonius reloaded
I think a quote from Selen around turn 5 is missing... something like "if I can't make my vp [on jorge] I will back oust you [Danilo]", which she actually did

Anyway, great report!

Lurking in the underground of Bologna, Italy

More
02 Sep 2015 18:07 #72885 by Lönkka

Probably in an ideal world.

Which reminds me of something someone (Enrico?) actually said in my last game at day 2: "Yes, in an ideal world. But this is the World of Darkness!"

Which is one of the reasons why it so so much fun playing with Enrico!
Always ready with some fun comments.

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ashur

• Lönkka
  • Away
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds