file is Archon Investigation a wasted slot?

04 Sep 2012 16:33 - 04 Sep 2012 16:34 #35934 by Izaak
Except that your assumption is that playing an AI will somehow give you space. Which it doesn't.

Yes, under very rare circumstances you're going to kill that turn 2 Arcadian that thought he could quickly land a bleed for 6 instead of governing down. Sure, that gives you space, but that's also about 0,02% likely to happen and only if your predator is a poor player, at which point it doesn't really matter what you play.

Under pretty much all other circumstances, playing it means you're dead *anyway* and just blowing something up because you have the card in hand. Playing AI means you just spent 3 pool (instead of losing 4) and also sacrifices your next MPA. As we have Asendance as a baseline master (and a rather poor one at that) it's easy to deduce that playing an AI is actually *more costly* than just eating a bleed for 4.

AI is *not* a defensive card. It's a tactical nuke that operates under very specific circumstances that doesn't make you more likely to win. What it does, is make other people more likely to lose. I can see why some people think this is good for your game, but in reality it's not.

The only thing that's good for your game is improving your chances of winning it. AI doesn't do this.

But by all means keep playing them if it makes you feel comfortable. Just understand the competition has moved past the idea that AI is good and plays better decks as a result.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2012 16:34 by Izaak.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2012 16:49 - 04 Sep 2012 16:53 #35938 by Kraus

Except that your assumption is that playing an AI will somehow give you space. Which it doesn't.

Duly disagreed. :)

Under pretty much all other circumstances, playing it means you're dead *anyway* and just blowing something up because you have the card in hand. Playing AI means you just spent 3 pool (instead of losing 4) and also sacrifices your next MPA. As we have Asendance as a baseline master (and a rather poor one at that) it's easy to deduce that playing an AI is actually *more costly* than just eating a bleed for 4.

Well, I find that logic largely flawed. Effectively dealing 4-8 (average) pool damage (in the form of a minion) to a player is a gain in my opinion. Not a direct, obviously, but it's a gain.

Also, any deck should obviously have means to survive. It's just stupid not to. In a deck that focuses on destroying vampires (let's say multirushes) nuking a vampire isn't really a bad deal.

AI is *not* a defensive card. It's a tactical nuke that operates under very specific circumstances that doesn't make you more likely to win. What it does, is make other people more likely to lose. I can see why some people think this is good for your game, but in reality it's not.

Surely it isn't a defense mechanism. :) I think we all agree with that already.

When others are losing more than I am, I think I'm in a better position to win. That might be just me, though.

The only thing that's good for your game is improving your chances of winning it. AI doesn't do this.

But by all means keep playing them if it makes you feel comfortable. Just understand the competition has moved past the idea that AI is good and plays better decks as a result.

Well, I ain't playing it in all decks, obviously, but I do add it on occasion.

Also, I hope you're not suggesting that I don't know global metas and the notion of competetiveness, and how people usually win. It's pretty rude to imply something like that when you're discussing with someone you know nothing about.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines
Last edit: 04 Sep 2012 16:53 by Kraus.

More
04 Sep 2012 17:07 #35941 by Pendargon
i wanted to write a long post, but got bored.

In short, no, it is not a wasted slot, i put one in about 90% of decks i play.
Though, you may want to know that 90% of my decks are Assamite decks :-D

:QUI: :POT: :OBE: :CEL: :OBF: :tore: :assa:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brum, Kraus

More
04 Sep 2012 19:18 #35955 by Juggernaut1981
It isn't a 'passive defense' it's a purely "Screw me and I'm screwing you harder" card. It is basically a threat to shut down your predators game if they are going to obliterate your game.

That threat is why I keep AIs in decks without flick/reduce.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
04 Sep 2012 20:06 - 04 Sep 2012 20:07 #35960 by Ohlmann

It is basically a threat to shut down your predators game if they are going to obliterate your game.

Let's be even more honest : you play it because the effect is big and impressive, and don't care whether it actually benefit you :) (which is a good reason in itself, don't get me wrong on that)

Don't forget that playing AI does not help you to make threat of AI. You can't show the card in your hand, discarding it just mean you are very unlikely to have another one, so it's pure roleplaying regardless of whether you play it or not.

And most intelligent predator won't really care of your threat. Yes, you can screw them, but they still will have their VP or done their last chance gamble.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2012 20:07 by Ohlmann.

More
04 Sep 2012 20:16 #35961 by Juggernaut1981
Actually, we have a long history in Sydney of oscillating between Powerbleed and AIs. Famous tournament tables involving 5 powerbleed decks, all with 3+ AIs in each.

AI is a counter to Powerbleed. It is also a threat, particularly to star or large-cap decks.

I never said it was an 'end to your worries', but it can often result in your predator being forced to slow up (reduced minions) and be more defensive (assuming they have a predator with more threat than a noodle-in-milk).

Maybe your playgroups aren't persistent in asking "Is that for more than 3?". Almost every time you bleed in Sydney with :dom: or :dem: you will be asked "Is it going to be for more than 3?". Hell, I ask it even when I know the deck doesn't have AIs in it to spook my opponents.

It has also been used to punish reckless bleeders. Bleeding for 4+ with no plan for how you will avoid ousting your cross-table buddy tends to get you AI'd periodically around Sydney (even in social games).

Ohlmann, obviously your players play higher-risk VTES. If they will continually risk getting AId on the gamble that it will pay off, instead of just bleeding for 3 repeatedly... then they deserve to get 0VPs. Its a no-brainer... to avoid AI, turn your powerbleed into a regular bleed.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds