file First Strike vs. Strike: Combat Ends

08 Feb 2013 07:31 - 08 Feb 2013 07:32 #44970 by Pascal Bertrand
Well, anyone can feel free to try First Strke resolving pre-SCE.
Amongst other things I would highly recommend (in a competitive environment):
- Elimelech + Coma
- Muddled Vampire Hunter
- Quick Jab (Basilia, Samantha, Hector & Dogs of War, ..)

But if you do try it, please send me your feedback :)
Last edit: 08 Feb 2013 07:32 by Pascal Bertrand.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2013 08:02 #44973 by Ohlmann

Well, anyone can feel free to try First Strke resolving pre-SCE.

Just to be sure, resolving at the same time would do the trick too, no ?

(Elimelech have other dangerous options by the way : Claw of the dead, Assault Rifle, Ivory Bow ...)

More
08 Feb 2013 08:09 - 08 Feb 2013 08:33 #44974 by Pascal Bertrand
The idea of first strike send-to-torpor with no damage is that the only option left to survive it (barring Undead Persistance / Undying Tenacity) is Dodge.

Fortitude remains just as good against agg damage, should it be inflicted with first strike or not.

Also, how do you resolve "at the same time" a S:CE (which ends the combat) and something that needs later resolving (damage) ?

The proposed sequence of strike resolution (as it has been suggested here), I suppose, would be:

[0] Dodge. Dodges don't resolve, they just prevent anything bad from happening to you.
[1] First Strike
[1.a] S:CE with first strike
[1.b] other first strikes
[1.c] damage inflicted by 1.b
[2] Normal strikes
[2.a] S:CE without first strike
[2.b] other normal strikes
[2.c] damage inflicted during normal strike resolution (strikes + environmental, basically)
Last edit: 08 Feb 2013 08:33 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
08 Feb 2013 08:26 #44976 by Ohlmann

Also, how do you resolve "at the same time" a S:CE (which ends the combat) and something that needs later resolving (damage) ?

In the same way as coma resolve vs a regular strike ? Coma do end the combat too, since your opponent go to torpor, and I don't remember that it prevent damage done by your opponent. Ditto for inf' anesthesic touch.

More
08 Feb 2013 08:33 - 08 Feb 2013 08:34 #44977 by Pascal Bertrand

In the same way as coma resolve vs a regular strike ? Coma do end the combat too, since your opponent go to torpor, and I don't remember that it prevent damage done by your opponent. Ditto for inf' anesthesic touch.

The rules have S:CE resolve before Coma. The rules have S:CE resolve before damage-inflicting strikes.

"In the same way" doesn't apply at all, since "S:CE" and "damage-inflicting strikes" don't resolve "at the same time".
Last edit: 08 Feb 2013 08:34 by Pascal Bertrand.

More
08 Feb 2013 08:50 #44978 by ReverendRevolver

I could play my quick draw McGinley deck against weenie presence and only worry about staredown @ inferior making me waste a dragonsbreath 38.

So you would feel compelled to waste your gun and a DBR even after you saw them dodge?

Sorry, worded it weird. Inf staredown would be my only concern, since majesty, cat fear, force of personality, unholy pennance,gotsdams special, etc would all be after my dbr 38 special. Dodging is still dodgy, even for ruths exploding sixguns.

As for testing, my city's prince and most of the players are combat fans and probably already have decks that would work well at testing. Ill throw it out there when we play tomorrow.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.095 seconds