file First Strike vs. Strike: Combat Ends

10 Feb 2013 01:53 - 10 Feb 2013 01:53 #45108 by Robert Scythe
Damn! Then I cannot choose Reyda since his logic attacks never work! Oh, where is my LSJ, I know I had him in here somewhere!?!
Last edit: 10 Feb 2013 01:53 by Robert Scythe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reyda

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2013 05:18 #45113 by ReverendRevolver
Rob is out of useable pokemon. He blacks out .

Thats why i always buy extra sarcasta heals.

More
10 Feb 2013 14:42 #45137 by Lönkka
While I don't have a problem with First Strike resolving the way it currently does I've always found it bit odd that surprise/sneak attacks of First Strike would be trumped by S:CE or Dodge. Makes First Strike rather weak and cornercase.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
10 Feb 2013 20:10 #45157 by DeathInABottle

Why shouldn't this rule be changed?

Because it stands the test of time and all the cards were designed with that rule in head? Because there's no good reason to change them?

The rules concerning first strike vs dodge are balanced as they are. Rules aren't be changed for the sake of a minority that found them not enough rpg-like.

I didn't bother replying to this before, but since I seem to have personally offended you, I guess I might as well.

If you look at the majority of my posts in any of the "let's change/ban/errata X" threads, you'll see that I'm almost always against changes to the game. Like you, I think that VTES is generally well balanced, and I think that the best way to improve that balance further is to introduce new cards. On that note, I've read all of your suggestions for new cards, and appreciate the time and effort you put into them. So thanks for that. When it comes to First Strike, though, I've always been perplexed, and I've seen the issue come up a number of times before. My question was motivated by curiosity. And it turns out that a number of other people are also curious about a change. I don't understand why your tone is so confrontational.

Well, anyone can feel free to try First Strke resolving pre-SCE.
Amongst other things I would highly recommend (in a competitive environment):
- Elimelech + Coma
- Muddled Vampire Hunter
- Quick Jab (Basilia, Samantha, Hector & Dogs of War, ..)

But if you do try it, please send me your feedback :)

I'm glad to see that a few people are offering to playtest the possible change. Elimelech + Coma would be devastating, of course, but he is an 11 cap, and Coma does cost 3 blood - and dodge would still beat it. And dodge or prevent would both beat MVH and Quick Jab agg. Elimelech sounds like he would become broken, but I think playtesting - especially where playtesters deliberately start including more dodge cards to adjust to the new meta - would have to determine that.

I'm glad to see there are people having time to playtest so useless changes.
I have also a request: I've always thought that Memories of Mortality shouldn't be playable on a Call the Great Beast. It's a demon. It can't have any memories of when it was human. Can someone playtest that to see if it's balanced?

My original post didn't request that anyone playtest anything: it was just meant to open conversation. Which it did. But someone came along and offered to playtest it, and I expressed appreciation for that. I'm not sure why that irritated you so badly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Reyda

More
10 Feb 2013 21:02 #45158 by Reyda
in France, we had a standup comedian who, impersonating a politician, said once « expliquez moi ce dont vous avez besoin, je vous expliquerai comment vous en passer » Which roughly translates as "just explain me what you need, and i'll explain you how you can still do without it".

It's the kind of mentality I too often see in posts just asking for discussion about the game... :silly:

Imagination is our only weapon in the war against reality -Jules de Gaultier
The following user(s) said Thank You: the1andonlime, SClaytonU

More
10 Feb 2013 21:44 #45161 by D-dennis
This thread would not exist if 'first strike' would have been worded as 'a wee tiny bit earlier strike'.
Can someone go back in time and fix that, please?

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds