file Most Interesting Decks to Play

29 Aug 2013 15:10 #53714 by Count Orlok
Clearly, there is a divide between competitive and interesting decks. While a Malk '94 stealth bleed might be powerful, it isn't all that thrilling to play after awhile.

So what decks do you find the most interesting to play?

I really love playing ally decks. There's something about the difference but alliance between vampires and dinky minions that I find really compelling. It can be a delicate balancing act getting them out, but once the horde has assembled, I get no greater pleasure than watching them sack Rome. My particular favorite are Samedi Reanimated Corpses.

:same: :FOR: :NEC: :THN: :pre: Baron of Berkeley :bl: :cap8:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Aug 2013 15:40 #53715 by Ohlmann
I love search card like Magic of the smith or Summon history, because you have to fetch the good card for the situation.

I find turbo deck interesting too, since while certainly boring for other players it's pretty hard to build and run the rudberg contraption correctly.

That being said, weak decks tend to stress my playing sense more than powerful decks, because you still can win, but you can't make errors.

More
29 Aug 2013 16:36 #53719 by ReverendRevolver
Combo decks and toolboxes are the most interesting, followed by combat walls in my book.

I dig the idea behind ourge decks, and madness network decks, but combat is still pretty intereating...

More
29 Aug 2013 20:37 #53730 by ICL
I don't see any divide between competitive and interesting. I see that there is one measure - competitiveness - and another measure - interestingness - and that the Venn diagram has an overlapping circle.

Now, I can see a relationship between the two that goes:
1. This is competitive and interesting
2. Ok, I'll play that
3. Oh, I have seen that played a lot, it's not interesting anymore

While competitiveness changes based on card pool and metagame personalities, interest has a tendency to wane on anything that has been seen, where the more competitive, the more something is likely to be seen. There is a reason that most CCGs can't survive without constant expansion - they sell themselves on variety, yet the true variety within them is much less than the possible variety.

As for what I find interesting, decks that are unfocused. Repetition at the "card level" only adds to the staleness of repetition at the "deck level" or "metagame level". I often find it highly amusing to play decks in all sorts of CCGs where I don't know what I'm going to draw.

That's one category, generally more relevant to multiplayer CCGs, which is what I've spent most of my time playing. For two-player games, I do have an inclination towards overwhelming speed. Can I get there before I will never get there? Even combo, which I'm not much of a fan of, in a two-player, can be interesting to see how fast it can go off.

Of course, anything I'm unfamiliar with is intrinsically more interesting. As familiarity comes, then how interesting the deck is depends upon how predictable it is.

As for what doesn't remotely interest me, that would be decks that prevent people from doing things in the game. Note, that speed wins does prevent people from playing, in that they lose, so what I'm talking about are prison decks, et al.

Besides a general aversion to anything I've seen much of, I actually quite enjoy stealth bleed decks, even straightforward ones, as they don't stop people from doing things, they just stop people from being in the game.

Hmmm, the main theme of this post would be: predictability = bad. Whether that's because you know how a deck works or because the deck causes games to be predictable.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

More
30 Aug 2013 04:27 - 30 Aug 2013 04:28 #53733 by Ashur

So what decks do you find the most interesting to play?

Toolbox. It´s fun to not know for certain what you´re gonna draw into. That´s why I also love limited formats.

I also like political decks. Politics is the most intriguing aspect of VTES. I would like more politics in future sets.

Most boring is, IMHO, the one-trick-pony combo decks. Yet certain powers seem to want to influence game design in this direction (to attract numbercrunshers? MTG-players?)

Also boring is those wall-decks with mainly reactions and combat cards. They are also among hardest decks to win with tournaments with.

"My strategy? Luck is my strategy, of course."
Last edit: 30 Aug 2013 04:28 by Ashur.

More
31 Aug 2013 10:19 #53743 by DeathInABottle
Toolbox. In addition to the reasons Ashur and ICL listed above, it gives you a plausible response, or at least the possibility of a response, to every situation. If I build a pure bleed deck, I probably have no adequate response to a deck that runs heavy combat or voting, but if I build a toolbox, I at least have the chance to threaten the combat deck with an occasional burst of agg or to stop the voting deck from running roughshod over the table.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds