times combat and winning with it. and the headaches included.

02 Dec 2013 16:52 #57396 by Klaital
What you said is true for RUSH combat, Reverend, not so much for the other types, like intercept combat generally can't do much about emptying vampires before they act (so after they have potentially been villeined), but then again, generally only thing you have to worry about with well made rush combat deck (assuming there isn't some deck on the table that completely trumps whatever combat module your using) is running out of time before you get a gw.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2013 01:24 #57421 by ReverendRevolver

What you said is true for RUSH combat, Reverend, not so much for the other types, like intercept combat generally can't do much about emptying vampires before they act (so after they have potentially been villeined), but then again, generally only thing you have to worry about with well made rush combat deck (assuming there isn't some deck on the table that completely trumps whatever combat module your using) is running out of time before you get a gw.

Yes, i really dont think on such things for intercept combat, largely because its way easier "feel" for the right choice. Theres maybe that one in 20 games where you saw in your head the effect making this block and knocking every bead off a star vamp before threatening and ultimately leaving them above ground, knowing you just bought 3-4 turns of no pressure. Then they freak drivr after combat, abactor hunt, and a good to go. Or maybe they must hunt and your grandpredator foul bloods and ousts them, leaving you unprepared for several loss bleeds at stealth.
Point is, its way less usual for intercept combat to have to rely on luck and table entropy in order to getcits first vp like rush combat is. If im blocking and moving red cards when i do, my brain processes the stages of the game:
1. Get out vampires
2. Get vampires armed.
3. Dont get ousted, make life hard for anyone taking actions i dont like.
4. Watch my grandprey oust my grandpredator.
5. Hope its all ripe at the table and decide if i get 2 or 3 ousts, typically expecting 2, which includes taking thexheads up bout that lasts 40 minutes or less if my decks not gone.

Now, with rush combat or bruise and bleed, lifes alot more complicated. I have built alot of bruise n bleed where i hope to seem like stealthbleed after my prey getsxout 2-3 minions, so i can put them on the ropes and mayne get rushes to really make them hate thier table position.
But its just alot more pain in the ass than defensive blocking and shooting the hell out of things, which is my preferred way of depletimg resources.

Its ironic that combat is the most destabalizing element playable in the hands of someone looking to get 1 vp and make thier prey sit on empty or burned minions all game, but in the hands of a player maximizing vps, combat is really neither scalpel or sledgehammer, but normally a switchblade poised to pop and kill exactly when needed.

It always seems when you start playing vtes that if you just torpor every minion each of your preysxbring out,,you win. Then you play and realize how unneeded rushing the table and smashing things is.

Its no wonder combat is harder to win with than most other angles. You dedicate half a deck almost to red cards and have to overthink everythng.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.049 seconds