file Balancing Ashur Tablets

12 Aug 2014 17:32 #64817 by ReverendRevolver
For the same reason Ozzy hydewhite is hard to build with, 13 cards at random, without removing some, wpuld be nearly useless. But removing some from the game is how to set it up (and i admit could end up making it take almost as long, but the up in the air about 3 cards as #13 is solved) and then randomness.

Flavor-wise, random should be to offset stuff, like sudario, or anarchy, like skirmish and constant revolution. Or malk.

My origional suggestion is still my favorite, being only minion cards.

Ben, you have so far not allowed stuff to time out tables more to exist. But on an unrelated note, why arent archonsfrom origins posted?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2014 17:55 #64818 by BenPeal
Replied by BenPeal on topic Re: Balancing Ashur Tablets

Ben, you have so far not allowed stuff to time out tables more to exist. But on an unrelated note, why arent archonsfrom origins posted?

Lack of bribes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

More
12 Aug 2014 23:23 #64831 by BenPeal
Ok, Origins archons uploaded and approved. Lemme know if there are any issues.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ReverendRevolver

More
13 Aug 2014 02:24 #64836 by ReverendRevolver

Lack of bribes.

Im so broke that (insert joke here) but if you insist, I can bri g you a few copies of the card Bribes. Figured youd own enough by now......

More
14 Aug 2014 03:56 - 14 Aug 2014 03:57 #64874 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Re: Balancing Ashur Tablets

It's ok if there are a few such cards.

No, it's not.

One problem with most of card balance talks - everybody try to speak from high-level tournament perspective, so any discussion became void, cause high-level tournaments (or just games when whole table consists of experienced players) are generally fine (exept mentioned earlier villein in half the decks, which must have be banned couple of years ago, but was not because of strange idea, that playing with shitty big caps is good).

But the main real problems of vtes now are, in the order of importance: 1. new players, 2. length of game and 3. card availability.

And from this perspective AT, as vell as several other mentioned cards (heart, dreams e t.s.) are really bad.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:
Last edit: 14 Aug 2014 03:57 by elotar.

More
14 Aug 2014 05:19 #64877 by BenPeal

It's ok if there are a few such cards.

No, it's not.

I was speaking only from the perspective of cards that take a lot of time to resolve. There are time-intensive cards which are quite common and available, such as political actions or cards with search effects such as Waters of Duat.

One problem with most of card balance talks - everybody try to speak from high-level tournament perspective...

I disagree. Whether a card is fun, whether a card is readily understandable, and whether a card causes gameflow disruption are often talked about in discussions about card balance and card design. One example is discussions about events, particularly some of the original Gehenna events. A lot of complaints about those cards have to do with them not being fun, having a lot of card text, and how much of a hassle they are with respect to performing normal game functions. These issues are separate and distinct from their power level.

Readability, simplicity, and brevity are talked about a lot within the Design Team when we're designing cards. Here's a Designer's Diary entry where we talk about card text length:

vekn.net/designers-diary/219-playtest-concluded-thoughts-on-design-and-card-text

But the main real problems of vtes now are, in the order of importance: 1. new players, 2. length of game and 3. card availability.

I'd say the #1 problem of V:TES is that it is currently out of print. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds