file Balancing Ashur Tablets

15 Jul 2014 11:48 #63713 by ICL
Replied by ICL on topic Re: Balancing Ashur Tablets
To stop the Ashur + Liquidation combo, rather than change Ashur Tablets, can change Liquidation to remove the cards from the game.

People don't seem bothered by Liquidation, maybe liking the combo appeal with Shambling Hordes or Dis Pater or whatever, but I find both cards about equally offensive, if for different reasons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jul 2014 18:04 #63716 by ReverendRevolver
There are 3 TWD entries thatcontain Liquidation and NOT ashurs(and/or)sudario(and/or)shamblers.
One gangel, with a,copy for pool i guess, one older IC deck with 1 copy, and one imbued/henry twister deck with several, presumably for speed.

Everything else is using ashurs to be a girls deck or streamline, or using sudario to pick goodness up, or just hoping to get shambler food.

Liquidation SUCKS most of the time if you dont have a pressing reason to dump cards. It even has a DNR clause.....
But it doea end up in decks with banned cards (PTO, MoM,LB) alot.

Ashurs only hitting minion cards is the easiest fix to ashurs. Liquidation, a seriously shitty card if not enabling acombo, is in like a billion (maybe 100) TWDA entries. Its USELESS as in just ban it useless in all but like 2, possibly 3 of those, and 2 of my source example dont need it, and the third actually needs the conviction in the asheap.

So...... hows it reasonable to erratta a card that sucks instead of banning it, when We have banned good cards that cpuld have been nerfed and still playable?

Ashurs have been an issue for awhile, according to folks who like to complain, and according to legit theorists, andaccording to people sick of girls decks.
I love Ashurs in combat decks. Anson combat is a great thing, until you have to contest with AAA girlsy decks....

I see ashurs are good, and people have large monetary investments in them. They can be nerfed to stop the bad part from happening, and everythings still ok for many ashur decks, just less easy to win with girls decks if you lose your anthelios.

Its been the simplest solution for awhile, hurts the problem the perfect amount withouf turning the card to wallpaper.

More
16 Jul 2014 10:54 #63722 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: Balancing Ashur Tablets
After re-reading the whole topic, I'm sure everybody's NOT talking about the same thing. People don't seem to know exactly what they try to fix. They talk about problems but aren't clear. And once again, the topic has drifted towards MMPA problems.

- some people find Ashur "too strong" . But they don't explain exactly why. Recursion? Pool gain? When it is ok, and when does it start to become too strong?
- some people find Ashur too well-spread. It's not clear why, it looks like something very subjective, such as "50% of the decks I've played against contained Ashur Tablets". In fact, the percentage is far less (15-16%). Is it a lot? Is it temporary? Is Govern the Unaligned also too frequent? Anyway, I can see two explanations to this "feeling":
- these are the latest cards and people like to play with new toys, either Nana or Ashur Tablets. So maybe in some playgroups percentage is high
- there are many old players that quit the game for a while and discover now new cards and their first reaction is "it's too strong". Not long ago I recall Orpheus reading the card (so it must be quite new to him) and exclaiming "it's too strong". He looked a bit like a new player discovering Obedience or Psyche! ;)

- some people find that recursion should only be given to certain clans/disciplines. It's maybe true from a RPG point of view, but the card game can be different. Game-wise, it's not a good reason, otherwise Dogs on bikes should be disallowed.

- some people are talking about MMPA decks that eventually use Ashur Tablets. Some times ago, it was MMPA + Anthelios that was a concern.
Fact: such games don't trust the tournaments since they represent 15% of the last 100 TWD.
Ashur Tablets + MMPA represent 13% of the last 100 decks (Anson 4, Nana 6, Cybele 2, Huitzi 1, Parthenon alone 0).
Out of the 15 last decks that use Ashur Tablets, 7 are 70-76 cards, 8 are 82-90 cards big, and 9 use more than 20 combat cards.

What can we tell from these figures? 1/ Of course, Ashur Tablets are easier to play with MMPA. But it's true for all masters. 2/ quarter the decks they're in don't use MMPA 3/ half the decks they're in a 70-76 cards big 4/ half the decks they're in are combat decks (and half of them are Anson, the other half Nana)

Question is: would the 70-76 cards deck as slim without Ashur Tablets? Would those combat deck be viable without them? I feel there's diversity here in the deckbuilding process.

- some people say it slows the game down. From my experience, not more than a Dreams of the Sphinx, when you have to discard down. Fast players stay fast (they plan ahead the cards they're going to pick) and slow players stay slow, whether they are playing Ashur Tablets or not. Lowering the number of cards would mean you have to choose more thoughtfully which cards you keep.

- some people think that playing 3 Ashur Tablets is a row is a problem (this brings us back to MMPA). Why? Is it easy to do it? Is it to strong?
- some people thing that Ashur + Liquidation is too strong. Why? In the end, you gain pool and slim your deck by not putting back cards you don't want at the expense of slots and MPA. Does it gain a lot more pool than other pooling strategies? Is the deck filtering better than using other techs (burn option, MDPA...)?

In short: being perfectly neutral::

- What does "a lot of decks" mean? 15% ? 25%? 50%?
- What does "broken" or "too strong mean"? Is Govern the Unaligned "broken" or "too strong"? Is 13 cards to many? Bringing back minion cards only would make the cards less effective, but does it solve any problem (if any)?

Once these question have been answered, then maybe it will be time to look for fixes, not the other way round.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
16 Jul 2014 11:19 - 16 Jul 2014 11:19 #63723 by FrançoisV
Considerations about brokenness or non-brokenness of the card aside, what I find sad with Ashur Tablets is that even if it could be beneficial and enable a variety of card-intensive decks, it compels you to play with multiple masters (if only to be able to reduce the risk to get out-tabletted by another player or to out-tablet others more easily) which is not that great as far as deck-enabling is concerned.

A "once per turn" clause would put all decks (mmpa or not) on equal grounds for playing tablets and make the card slightly more risky to use (for mmpa decks at least).
Last edit: 16 Jul 2014 11:19 by FrançoisV.

More
16 Jul 2014 13:20 #63726 by Ankha
I forgot to include the figures:
MMPADeck size# Combat# Ashur Tablets
4 Huitzilopochtly7546
5 Cybele8699
3 Anson70209
4 Anson90219
4 Anson90219
1 Nana 3 Cybele 4 Aksynia75229
1 Anson90237
4 Nana90287
4 Nana823310
4 Nana76359
2 Nana90383

Prince of Paris, France

More
16 Jul 2014 13:54 #63728 by Ankha

I find sad with Ashur Tablets is that even if it could be beneficial and enable a variety of card-intensive decks, it compels you to play with multiple masters (if only to be able to reduce the risk to get out-tabletted by another player or to out-tablet others more easily)

It's true for every non-unique masters: being able to play many Minion Taps in a row is better than only one. That's why Villein is so popular.
I understand that there's a slight difference with Ashur Tablets since its mecanics require to play multiple copies before it does something. Does that mean that "all decks (mmpa or not) [should be] on equal grounds for playing tablets"?
I've been playing Ashur Tablets for quite a while now, and never in MMPA decks. I've already been racing against MMPA decks to put the third tablet in play. Sometimes I won. I know the risk and accept to take it, and I don't find it so unbalanced.

I'm far more concerned by the Giant's Blood+Villein lottery that allows a random player to start at 40 pool instead of 30 (27% of the decks contain Villein + Giant's Blood, 46% of the decks contain Giant's Blood).

Prince of Paris, France

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds