file Errata suggestion: Baleful Doll

17 Jun 2015 15:08 - 17 Jun 2015 15:09 #71768 by chrisn101
Hi all,

I hope that this is the right way to raise this discussion, as I would like to suggest that Baleful Doll is considered for an errata.

Card text is:

:equipment: Baleful Doll
Unique equipment.
Cost: 1 blood.
[nec] Choose a vampire controlled by your prey. The bearer may tap himself or herself and burn the Baleful Doll during his or her untap phase to cause the chosen vampire to burn 3 blood.
[NEC] As above, but choose a vampire controlled by any Methuselah.

While it is rather 'Hollywood'ised, I think that the card could be quite useful if it was power-matched for later releases. For example, Horseshoes:

:action: Horseshoes
[pot] (D) Inflict 1 unpreventable damage on a ready minion.
[POT] (D) Inflict 2 unpreventable damage on a ready minion.

This card is a single action (rather than equip and then tap to use), does not cost a blood, and effects any ready minion. It causes less 'damage/blood loss' and is at no stealth, but that is reasonable for a card that costs neither pool nor blood (and can be played by allies with basic Potence too).

A relatively straight-forward errata suggestion to the card might be to make it 'one per minion' and affect any other minion rather than be vampire-specific:

:equipment: Baleful Doll v2
Unique equipment.
Cost: 1 blood.
[nec] Choose a vampireminion controlled by your prey. The bearer may tap himself or herself and burn the Baleful Doll during his or her untap phase to cause the chosen vampireminion to burn 3 blood or life. A minion may only have one Baleful Doll.
[NEC] As above, but choose a vampireminion controlled by any Methuselah.

I am of course happy to test this with my local group to check impact, but was wondering as to wider player opinions first.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2015 15:09 by chrisn101.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2015 16:55 #71769 by jamesatzephyr

I hope that this is the right way to raise this discussion, as I would like to suggest that Baleful Doll is considered for an errata.

Historical practice is that cards are only errata-ed when they're causing a problem, either through making no sense somehow, or through being inappropriate for the game somehow (typically, too powerful). Errata isn't generally issued for bad cards being bad cards.

A few cards have sometimes been upgraded in "most recent printings" - some of the worst cards from Dark Sovereigns and Ancient Hearts got a few tweaks when reprinted - but since we don't have a proper 'printing' mechanism, that's relatively unlikely too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: chrisn101

More
18 Jun 2015 17:47 #71784 by chrisn101
Interesting to know - thanks for the clarification.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.063 seconds