question-circle About Appolonius ADV.

06 Nov 2015 22:12 #74127 by TheLich
Replied by TheLich on topic Re: About Appolonius ADV.
Gets could simply be replaced with has and the whole potential for a problem is fixed. This game could actually use wording the differentiates between "triggered" abilities and "continuous abilities" to put it in Magic terms.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Nov 2015 08:50 #74129 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: About Appolonius ADV.
Appolonius effect is continuous: if the target of the bleed changes, his bonus bleed changes accordingly. It's the same as Constanza whose wording is being revised to: "Constanza gets +2 bleed against a Methuselah who controls a ready Ventrue." By the way, I'm puzzled that Constanza's current wording suits you, because "when bleeding" could be interpreted as a triggered thing.

Anyway, there's nothing here that indicates that he gets another bonus bleed each time the target of the bleed changes.

It's basically the same as "Appolonius gets +1 bleed against a Methuselah for each titled vampire he or she controls".

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
07 Nov 2015 09:03 - 07 Nov 2015 09:07 #74130 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Re: About Appolonius ADV.

Gets could simply be replaced with has and the whole potential for a problem is fixed. This game could actually use wording the differentiates between "triggered" abilities and "continuous abilities" to put it in Magic terms.

You can already spot them: "triggered abilities" use words such as "each time," "if", "when".
Continuous effects use words such as "while" or are simple statements, such as Appolonius's, or to take another example, Ayo Igoli's: "Ayo gets an additional vote for each ready titled vampire you control." (will be reworded to: "Ayo gets {+1} vote for each ready titled vampire you control.")

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 07 Nov 2015 09:07 by Ankha.

More
07 Nov 2015 11:20 - 07 Nov 2015 11:20 #74131 by Boris The Blade
How about changing "gets" to "has" for continuous effects? I am not a native English speaker, but it seems to me that "gets" is a dynamic term that denotes triggering (before trigger, there is nothing, after trigger, there is something), whereas "has" is static.

Now where is Hugh when we need him? :P
Last edit: 07 Nov 2015 11:20 by Boris The Blade.

More
07 Nov 2015 20:32 #74134 by TwoRazorReign
Responding to Ankha's post: While and when are synonyms. Attaching different meanings to words that normally mean the exact same thing is part of the reason why this game is hard for people to understand.

More
07 Nov 2015 21:20 #74137 by Henrique_Sorocaba
If the cards had a standard text for a similar effect, things will get easier...

Now that we are writing the text of the cards we will continue doing the same mistakes that we criticized...

Standardizing the text is the minimum we should do...

When I started the post, I didn't know Contanza's example but I knew it would have some... I want Appolonius ADV. gain the +1 bleed advantage in the end of the action against the Methuselah he is effectively bleeding.

But the card is not released, please just use the text according to previous example to make things easier.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds