file If the game would go into print, should there be changes to old cards?

03 Dec 2016 01:20 #79438 by BenPeal

Ben is confusing "selling" and "dropping" a business. There is a small difference :)

Not really. CCP thought they were better off reallocating their pen and paper resources towards making white elephant video games. They also didn'the have the vision to see the shift in the RPG industry towards pdfs and print-on-demand. Sometimes the reason is that the company is dumb.

And again, Steve knew how profitable V:TES was for him and put in a very serious effort to try to do it again. And remember that CCP dropped the RPGS, too, and Onyx Path picked them up and has done well with them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2016 11:17 - 03 Dec 2016 11:17 #79448 by elotar

Sometimes the reason is that the company is dumb.

This works as an explanation, I think. :)

And am I right, that by now Wieck don't want to get into PoD of VtES to not worsen relations with WotC/Hasbro?

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:
Last edit: 03 Dec 2016 11:17 by elotar.

More
03 Dec 2016 13:04 #79452 by cordovader

It's a relatively new development in the industry, but the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game is one example:

www.drivethrucards.com/browse/pub/5549/Paizo

Cool. So they are managing to be profitable at $0,35 for a card? Will this prices be achievable for VtES?

To the best of my knowledge, it's profitable.

As for V:TES, we were targeting a lower price point per card, but you'd have to buy 100 cards at a time. For example, upload an ARDB file for a 100-card deck and get it printed and sent for a flat fee.

35$ por a deck seems pretty reasonable to, given that most players with big collections can build tons of decks out of 100 cards.

Old cards will just have a collectors value.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
09 Dec 2016 03:05 #79533 by Vlad

if you drop A to dedicate more effort on C it will be a valid example of dropping a profitable business.

It will be a valid example of you not calculating ROI right, if you got some limited "effort" resource.

Ben is confusing "selling" and "dropping" a business. There is a small difference :)

Usually, unless you are Galileo, when everyone does not agree with you it's the other ones that are right and you are wrong.

Just saying.

:P :P :P

Pentex Board of Directors

Prince of Oye Plage
Alastor Grand Nord

:gang:

:ani: :cel: :chi: :FOR: :PRO:

More
16 Jan 2017 06:10 #80199 by talonz

www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/11/5/a-new-stage-of-growth/'

In general it just cost too much for everybody involved to maintain production capacity, stocks and channels of introducing new players to the game.

I take issue with that article. It is written to support FFGs position and eventual decision on 5 different LCGs they print. VTES is not an LCG and need not compete against other card games by its eventual producer.

Also, from the article;

•An overwhelming card pool intimidates and turns away players who may otherwise be interested in the game.

This is presented as fact without any proof. A large cardpool wouldn't bother me, why would it bother anyone? Lots of cards to buy? woohoo! I can if I choose buy starters supported by singles to play a few dedicated decks if I don't want a large collection/buy in cost? Woohoo! No one loses here.

•As a game's card pool grows unchecked, its metagame begins to stagnate, and the game falls apart under its own weight.

Again, where is the proof? Sure its hard to beat the old staples sometimes because that way lies powercreep, but so what? New cards mean new possibilities!

•Players aren’t the only people who are impacted by large card pools, and as retailers need to carry more and more products in order to support a game, it becomes harder for them to do so.

Also indefensible imo. If you told a retailer that you had more product to sell, would this really be a problem? Once an expansion goes out of print, you don't stock it. And those cards find themselves back in print via reprints. Was anyone really after shackles of enkidu after it was out of print? Some collectos perhaps, but little else.

Their solution of rotation makes me wary, as this is one of the staples WOTC uses for their cashcow, MTG. It is profit driven imo, and not realy a 'solution' to the presented problem, which already has problems of its on as pointed out above.

So yeah, lets just get this game back in print. We need not worry about all of the cards, but a few changes as we go to some of the old bad ones I wouldn't mind, or we just drop them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds