file Master combo cards

08 Jun 2018 10:21 - 10 Jun 2018 22:44 #88027 by Sambomb
Master combo cards was created by Sambomb
Why we don’t have any master combo cards yet?

Card like Ascendance stoped to be useful a LONG time ago and can be turned in something like:

Ascendance
Master :vtes:
Gain 1 pool
Action Modifier :modifier:
Only usable after a successful action: Gain 1 pool
Or
Only usable after a successful action: Gain 1 pool. You lose your next master phase.

On a side note, why we don’t have a master icon yet?

Archbishop of Itaocara
Prince ID #510
Last edit: 10 Jun 2018 22:44 by Sambomb.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jun 2018 11:07 #88028 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic Master combo cards
There was that one TWD that had a ton of Ascendance:

www.vekn.fr/decks/twd.htm#2013jbdifd

So it's not really that bad? ;)

Sure, okay, sorry... :D All in all, I'm not sold on masters being merged into minion card types. Then again, I don't feel too strongly in either direction.

Masters are differentiated by their different layout and stark colour difference. To be honest the layouts for Masters and Events could be even more different, since they function so differently from Minion cards.

But Ascendance is proven to be alright. ;) Har...

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

More
08 Jun 2018 12:19 - 08 Jun 2018 12:20 #88030 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Master combo cards
You can make card do whatever you want unless it'll be generally worse that game staples (I've made a list of most popular ~ powerfull cards some time ago).

But key question "why should you"? If all you got is "because I can" then it looks not so great an idea.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:
Last edit: 08 Jun 2018 12:20 by elotar.

More
08 Jun 2018 12:35 #88034 by ReverendRevolver
Replied by ReverendRevolver on topic Master combo cards
I suggested a card in a thread that could be master or action modifier.

Honestly, template wise it's not good in my opinion to mix minion and master playability.

But conviction cards exist, so screw it, print whatever....

More
09 Jun 2018 21:36 #88064 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Master combo cards

Why we don’t have any master combo cards yet?

Most likely a combination of several factors:

1) The master cards that see play are already very good indeed. Making cards that can compete with them and are more flexible gets into some nasty power-creep territory.

2) To the extent that master cards needing an option for being slightly weaker but easier to use, Trifles provided some interesting design flexibility in that area.

3) In a world in which Anthelios was legal, being able to more finely control having a master card in your hand without jamming yourself probably wasn't a good idea. (That's part of "why hasn't someone invented them in the past", as opposed to "why aren't they a good idea now".)

Card like Ascendance stoped to be useful a LONG time ago and can be turned in something like:

Cards are very rarely rewritten with a fundamentally different premise, unless the card is broken to start with.

Gain 1 pool
Action Modifier :modifier:
Only usable after a successful action: Gain 1 pool

See, in this version, almost no-one would ever plan to use it as a master card. Gain 1 pool, or gain 5 pool from Villein. Gain 1 pool, or secure an oust with Pentex Subversion. Gain 1 pool, or set yourself up for an aggressive sweep of the last couple of players with Week of Nightmares. Play it on some actions? Maybe yeah, it could be interesting for decks that lack pool gain options (e.g. ally heavy decks).

If you had it in your hand during your master phase and literally nothing else to do, sure, you could play it. But you'd be looking at it and thinking "Why the hell aren't you a copy of Zillah's Valley?" (or whatever other cards you might like).

Or
Only usable after a successful action: Gain 1 pool. You lose or next master phase.

Gain 1 pool from an action modifier, but with all of the downsides of playing a master card. Not really great. Especially if you mean losing your "next master phase" (i.e. skipping the whole phase) rather than "next master phase action" - can't even get use your second master phase action from Anson or Parthenon or similar. (There are also a few effects that go off during your master phase, but most of them are a bit pap.)

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds