file Trap rewording

09 Aug 2018 06:29 #89819 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Trap rewording
I've used a deck that centers around it and features some 10 copies of trap. During a the years I didn't have problem using it or counting the pressed (visually with fingers) but plenty of people were unclear how it worked during those games.

To some smartasses certain wordings might be crystal clear but often Joe Average, let alone Joe Sub-Average or José Promedio who isn't that fluent in english, will have a trckload of problems with such cards. Therefore adding some certain phrases to make it absolutely clear how a card works is not a bad thing if the card has room for extra text.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
09 Aug 2018 06:40 - 09 Aug 2018 06:59 #89822 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic Trap rewording

I am not convinced that said people understand english. I know Lönkka doesn't speak it as native language. Not sure about others.

A reminder of the forum guidelines:

English is the main language of the forums (but we do have a Spanish subsection). However, not everyone is a native English speaker, so:
• Write easy to understand English
• Do not correct others for their English

Make sure this doesn't get out of hand, everyone.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines
Last edit: 09 Aug 2018 06:59 by Kraus.

More
09 Aug 2018 09:46 - 09 Aug 2018 11:34 #89826 by TwoRazorReign
Replied by TwoRazorReign on topic Trap rewording

I am not convinced that said people understand english. I know Lönkka doesn't speak it as native language. Not sure about others.

I am one of the people who read the current language and interpreted multiple possible meanings. Not only am I a native English speaker, I'm also an editor. So I am reading the current text with my editor hat on, and, again, I see multiple possible interpretations. My proposed wording is to ensure only the correct meaning can be interpreted to the extent possible. In my experience, extra clarity is not a bad thing, even if it means adding a few extra words.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2018 11:34 by TwoRazorReign.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
09 Aug 2018 12:05 #89828 by ReverendRevolver
Replied by ReverendRevolver on topic Trap rewording

I am one of the people who read the current language and interpreted multiple possible meanings. Not only am I a native English speaker, I'm also an editor. So I am reading the current text with my editor hat on, and, again, I see multiple possible interpretations. My proposed wording is to ensure only the correct meaning can be interpreted to the extent possible. In my experience, extra clarity is not a bad thing, even if it means adding a few extra words.

As an experiment, once Black Chantry decides on a new wording, I may run the thing by multiple people who speak English as a second (or third, or 5th) language and compare it to a group of people who speak English as a primary language.
The catch will be that it will be people of varying ages who are probably unfamiliar with TCGs as a whole. (Which will require some non-trap dry runs of basic strikes and presses.)
My hypothesis is that native English speakers will get caught up skimming words, which will put them in roughly the same place as people with less grasp on written English who therefore have to put more thought into how something is worded.
What I for sure will not do is use current wording Trap, because I'll spend more time explaining it than conducting any sort of anything.

More
09 Aug 2018 12:44 - 09 Aug 2018 17:00 #89831 by TwoRazorReign
Replied by TwoRazorReign on topic Trap rewording

As an experiment, once Black Chantry decides on a new wording, I may run the thing by multiple people who speak English as a second (or third, or 5th) language and compare it to a group of people who speak English as a primary language.
The catch will be that it will be people of varying ages who are probably unfamiliar with TCGs as a whole. (Which will require some non-trap dry runs of basic strikes and presses.)
My hypothesis is that native English speakers will get caught up skimming words, which will put them in roughly the same place as people with less grasp on written English who therefore have to put more thought into how something is worded.

I think the opposite will happen: both groups will read the card very, very closely and may interpret things that seem out of left field but are really just a product of overthinking things. For example, "I can't put any counters on the card because there is already 3 counters, so I can't do what the card says. Does the press still happen?" If you see the myriad rules questions on this website, most are a product of overthinking and interpreting things that are false. This tends to happen more with text that is unclear, but still happens even if the text is very clear. It's obviously prudent to ensure the text is as clear as possible to reduce the amount of misinterpretations. It's not really a function of one's English skills (although that does play a role), it's more about human behavior.

Each time a card is played this combat, add counters to this card until it has 3 counters.
I like "when a card is played during this combat" for this line, because I think "when" is more consistent with existing templates than "each time."

So, the existing templates are being changed for a reason. "When a card is played during this combat" can be interpreted as "The first time a card is played during this combat," or "during X, do Y." Having "each time" instead of "when" clarifies adding counters happens each time a card is played.

People are already misinterpreting a "during X, do Y" template being used in the updated text (that template really, really needs a better explanation in the rulebook, but that's another post for another time), and having "when" there may further perpetuate (falsely) that such a template was used.

Modedit\\ Please do not double post. Add separate quotes into the same post.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2018 17:00 by Kraus.

More
09 Aug 2018 13:30 - 09 Aug 2018 13:32 #89835 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Trap rewording
The main goal of the rewording is to provide an easy tracking of the numbers of presses granted by the Trap, which is the current problem. That is why I prefer to start with 3 counters even if it may look more elegant to start with 0 and add 1 for each press.
If people struggle with the new wording, then probably they were already struggling before (and struggling for other cards).
The only thing that buggers me is that people may read the card too quickly as Lönkka did.

I like the idea of environmental press.

What about (changes underlined):

Only usable before range is determined during the first round of combat.
Put this card in play with 3 counters. At the start of the press step of each round this combat, this Trap automatically burns 1 counter from itself to provide 1 environmental press to continue combat (either combatant can press to end combat). Each time a card is played this combat, put back all counters that were burned this way on this card. Burn this card at the end of combat.

I changed "During the press step" to "At the start of the press step" to indicate that the automatic press happens before players can press (which required a ruling before).

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 09 Aug 2018 13:32 by Ankha.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds