question-circle Emerald Legionnaire — First Black Chantry Nerf?

11 Oct 2018 10:40 #91139 by elotar
All card games degenerate into contest of broken strategies. VtES is just doing it slower then others.

EL's "calling of comrades" should be a recruit action, then it still will be quite powerful card.

There were 10 years passed until Villein got kind of "fixed", so we may start new counter for EL...

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:
The following user(s) said Thank You: lionel, LivesByProxy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Oct 2018 12:49 #91141 by Boris The Blade

EL's "calling of comrades" should be a recruit action, then it still will be quite powerful card.

That would be nerfing it it into the ground. The best ally decks have been Nephandus and Piper Warghoul precisely because they do not risk getting blocked, and it is fine for the EL to aim for the same power level. However, with both of those effects:
-one must still pay the pool cost of the ally,
-the effect taps into another restricted resource (transfers or MPA).

One can argue that cards in the ash heap are a limit on the number of EL, but at the very least, the player should pay their pool cost. There is a precedent for that:

Sabbat: While Antonio is ready, you may spend four transfers to search your hand or library (shuffle afterward) for a mage ally Antonio could play. Put that ally in play with life equal to his starting amount (pay cost as normal).

The following user(s) said Thank You: vragozakas, Kraus, lionel, Killiam, LivesByProxy

More
11 Oct 2018 17:18 #91144 by Migalart
EL's are strong and it is fun. Finally new way for a game.

They seems to be equaly strong like for exmple nephandus tech.

compering these two techs both have advantages and disadvantages

VEKN Marketing CoDirector
The following user(s) said Thank You: lionel

More
11 Oct 2018 17:31 #91145 by Killiam
I like the solution from Boris the best. Rather than limiting the number of Legionnaires you can get per turn, just make the Methuselah pay their pool cost as normal. This would certainly force a major course-correction for turbo-legionnaire (with Infernal Pursuit), which already suffers from pool management issues.

I also really like that it better fits the model established by Antonio-Nephandus and Piper-War Ghoul; they can't get blocked, but their pool cost still applies, in addition to a depletable resource (here, cards in ash heap).

Best of all, it is a super-simple, 4-word errata: "(pay cost as normal)". I love it.

Cheers!

-Killiam
(Bill Troxel)
"I look back from where I'm from
Look at the woman I've become
And the strangest things seem
Suddenly routine"
-Hedwig Robinson

More
11 Oct 2018 19:35 #91148 by ReverendRevolver
I'm still not on the nerf wagon yet, but do we feel Alcoan deck dump is the most broken application of the card? Plainly, having the entire deck go into the ash heap will give a finite amount of times to recur legionnaires, but an army of 2 life 2 strength 1 bleed wraiths isn't as daunting as the mountain of pool MMPA decks get.
Also, liquidation is more dangerous than EL.

More
11 Oct 2018 20:21 #91150 by Migalart
You cant apply the same rule like Nephandus tech, becase in case of Nephandus no one can block it. First ELs CAN be blocked and this is BIG disadvantege of this tech. Later it has great advantage, that it has no cost...

For me it is ok, but I must admit i havent seen this turbo pursuit combo.

VEKN Marketing CoDirector

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds