file Returning player - 2018 new prints

06 May 2018 10:55 - 06 May 2018 10:58 #86495 by Johnsson1975
Hey, not played since mid 90s, but longing to get my hands on the new printings.

Not remembering much about the details and no clue about the cards released now. What do I need to get starting again? Is one of each enough, or is it better to buy 2-3 of some?

I know of some people who also wonders about what to get as first buy.

Edit:
Is there any good decks possible and what is it that those decks needs. Must not be super competitive, but it's not fun to get crushed all day...

Best regards
Magnus
Last edit: 06 May 2018 10:58 by Johnsson1975.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2018 14:49 #86504 by ReverendRevolver
Do you have any cards?

If hypothetically you have a ventrue law firm deck already, KoT bundle 2 would give you 2 each of Graham, lodin, victor, Maryanne Blair, and then let you roll with 2 other princes, solid primogen, and a solid 5 cap bleeder.
It would then get you villeins, perfect paragons, ephor, and scourge of the ennocians. Then, if you chose to utilize auspex, the rest charismatic aura and eyes of argus as well.

But that's not a deck. You'd need freak drives. Deflections, majesty, governs, parity shift, voter cap, krc, daring the dawn, bewitching oration, damage preventing fortitude, and some solid masters from old sets.

If you have no old cards, you will need singles of staple stuff, and while some clans can run fine with KoT crypt, or with a few extra buy singles,(ventrue, Brujah, malks, sort of tremere) other clans need other vamps and old and KoT stuff to do "famous" good builds, like Tories with guns are groups 1-3 due to good princes, nos goodness is the same, but due to cock Robin and sheldon being good, though KoT nos csn add dominate, and Gangrel.... just poor gangrel, they need freak drives n deep songs and then they can roll with some Stanislava builds, or the newer vekn sets crypt options.

Hope this helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnsson1975

More
06 May 2018 20:16 - 06 May 2018 20:18 #86518 by Johnsson1975
Thanks for the reply!

Too bad I don't have any cards saved from the past.
I'm think I'll buy the following and hope that gives me an ok start to build on. Counting on buying som singles also but want to get back to the game and find what I want to play before that.
3rd Edition Starter DISPLAY ( 8 starters/
Black Hand Booster DISPLAY (36 boosters)
Black Hand Starter DISPLAY ( 8 starters)
Sword of Caine Booster DISPLAY (36 boosters)
Keepers of the Tradition Starter DISPLAY ( 8 starters)
Blood Shadowed Court Collector Deck DISPLAY (6 will use 2 or 3 and share the rest with friends that may need them)

Not entirely sure about the Black hand/sword of Cain, but hope they will give me options together with the other boxes. Also I'll probably get Ravnos and Followers of Set with some extra cards to them this week.
Last edit: 06 May 2018 20:18 by Johnsson1975.

More
06 May 2018 20:53 #86519 by Kraus

Thanks for the reply!

Too bad I don't have any cards saved from the past.
I'm think I'll buy the following and hope that gives me an ok start to build on. Counting on buying som singles also but want to get back to the game and find what I want to play before that.
3rd Edition Starter DISPLAY ( 8 starters/
Black Hand Booster DISPLAY (36 boosters)
Black Hand Starter DISPLAY ( 8 starters)
Sword of Caine Booster DISPLAY (36 boosters)
Keepers of the Tradition Starter DISPLAY ( 8 starters)
Blood Shadowed Court Collector Deck DISPLAY (6 will use 2 or 3 and share the rest with friends that may need them)

Not entirely sure about the Black hand/sword of Cain, but hope they will give me options together with the other boxes. Also I'll probably get Ravnos and Followers of Set with some extra cards to them this week.

That'll for sure get you started, and then some!

Black Hand and Sword of Caine are a lot more focused, and not really that necessary. Keepers and 4rd ed starters, are definitely a way to go if you need a solid base for cards.

Just remember that save for the largest tournaments (EC and Grand Prix as far as I know, not sure about USA and Brasil high end tournaments) colour proxy prints are VEKN legal. You don't exactly NEED real cards, especially if it's hard to obtain them, as it stands at the moments.

Check out Amaranth for a very useful proxy tool:
amaranth.vtes.co.nz/

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

More
07 May 2018 11:05 #86533 by Johnsson1975
Nice, then I think I'll skip the Black Hand stuff and save the money for singles and newprints :)

Thanks for the advice. (And bookmarked amaranth.vtes.co.nz/ )

More
07 May 2018 12:50 #86540 by ReverendRevolver

Nice, then I think I'll skip the Black Hand stuff and save the money for singles and newprints :)

Thanks for the advice. (And bookmarked amaranth.vtes.co.nz/ )

The black hand starters aren't bad for important staples,
!nos has disarm, taste, crows, drawing out the beast, swallowed by the night, thrown sewer lid, and Beast, and !tremere has deflections, theft, scouting missions, and some auspex stuff.
The !torrie wasn't great, but I think a few ok celerity cards were there, sideslip at least.
Now the KoT ventrue starters are great, since they come with double and then some the MSRP in freak drives and masters.
The booster boxes of SoC and BH aren't all that helpful though. I can speak from experience that having 4-5 blood shadowed court decks was monumental in what I could build, even now, many stars and support vamps are in there.

Good luck.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds