file [VEG] Italian Grand Prix, BOlogna - 9th 10th December

11 Dec 2017 21:06 #84530 by thelonius reloaded
uploading the archons in this moment :)

Lurking in the underground of Bologna, Italy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
12 Dec 2017 08:04 - 12 Dec 2017 08:08 #84541 by Ankha
I ended 6th and 7th :'(

I was a very nice tournament with a large friendly attendance. As usual, there was a lot of "kill your prey" stubbornness that make simple or natural deals impossible to pass. For instance, my little prey (6 pool, playing a Neferu / Cybele deck) declines a Banishment on his predator's Marcus Vittel while at 8 pool. The predator plays also Amaravati and quite a lot of Dominate. Instead He'd rather have his predator call a Parity Shift on the Setite's prey Martin and leave the 5 to his predator. That would leave Martin at 4 pool but Martin has 2 vampires that can deflect (it's a Create Gargoyle deck that didn't do anything in the game).
So on the next turn, my prey who "can't play at all without Marcus Vittel" (according to him) plays a Zillah's, call a Parity Shift to get the 5 pool, and brings out Orlandus to gain the vote lock. On the following turn, he kills the Setite and Martin.

In my opinion, the clever thing to do is to accept the Banishment (because we've been voting together and we need to continue to do so against Marcus/Amaravati and also my predator who is also playing vote) so he's safe(r) and has more free hands to oust his prey.
If he fears that I can kill Marcus with that, he can negotiate some no-aggression until he ousts the Gargoyle deck, I'd happily accept that. I can even help him doing that because his prey is sadly of no use on the table.
Instead of that, he deals with his predator who can be really aggressive against one of his allies, and dies two turns after that because of this pool deal.

(As a reminder, the goal of the game is not ousting your prey at all cost. It's to maximize your VPs, a goal that can take many different routes.)

Aside of that, I had two terrible rounds on the second day with twice a non-existing grand-predator. The first time, it was a Appolonius deck that never brang out Appolonius and spent the entire game drawing vampires.
The second time it was Martin's deck that brang out Gargoyles, did one rush and stopped there.
When this is the case, it's really hard to do anything in a game because your predator has no pressure at all and you have to defend yourself all game long.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 12 Dec 2017 08:08 by Ankha.

More
12 Dec 2017 09:12 - 12 Dec 2017 09:12 #84548 by thelonius reloaded
As long as the complains are about game situations and not organizational issues, I'm happy. :P Anyway I managed to get to the final on Saturday with my lovely nocturn s&b deck, even making a big mistake that basically ruined game 2 both for me and my grandprey adam (that's having beast with no blood as my prey's only vamp and not playing unmasking with two unlocked nocturn in play...)
Sunday I had only one favourable game but surely it was because of the poor choice of deck (valkyrie rush and bleed) that gave me almost no chance in every seating due to the huge amount of bounce/intercept/votes attending the tournament. Luckily I had the time to focus on organizational stuff :p

Thanks you all for coming, for playing and to have made this great weekend possible.

See you in Belgium on February!

Lurking in the underground of Bologna, Italy
Last edit: 12 Dec 2017 09:12 by thelonius reloaded.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
12 Dec 2017 10:01 #84554 by Ankha

As long as the complains are about game situations and not organizational issues, I'm happy. :P

I found the organization very good, thanks Simone!

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
12 Dec 2017 15:57 #84559 by TapeTaChatte
It was definitely a great first GP, I concurr to that. You already put a milestone that future GPs will have to equal or overcome and that won't be.

While I was hoping a little more, 38 players remain a very nice attendance.

I will update the GP thread with all results later in the week!

Best regards,

TTC

IC Organized play coordinator
Please contact me with any OP query using the mail in my profile

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds