file QUALIFIER REPORT: Rebirth, Washington, DC 9/22/2012

29 Sep 2012 16:24 #38036 by Cheato
On Saturday, September 22nd, 22 Methuselahs (how's that for symmetry, cuz?) descended upon Washington DC (ok, it was really Rockville MD) to bleed, rush and vote each other into a long and dark torpor.

We had visitors from Philadelphia, State College and New York City, but the Farthest Traveled Award goes to John Flournoy from Chicago.

Matt Morgan emerged victorious (although it was very, very close) in the end to take home the title of 2012 DC Qualifier Champion.

Here is Matt's deck, Torelando: www.secretlibrary.info/index.php?deck=view&id=10042. Some credit (reluctantly, supposedly, I guess, maybe, if you've got a gun to my head) goes to Kevin Mergen for the deck design.

John Mickle, Matt Morgan, Shawn Stanley, John Flournoy and Sonam Adinolf all qualified for the Continental Championships by making the final table. John Simpson was our 6th and final qualifier.

Congratulations to our qualifiers and thanks to everyone for coming and making this a great event.

Pete Oh / Peteo / Cheato / The Asian One
VEKN Prince of DC B-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2012 18:20 #38042 by vtesocrates
Pete may be reluctant to give Kevin any credit for my deck, but I'm not because it was basically his idea. What made this deck work well is the nice Govern chain. Getting three guys into play generally meant vote lock.

Anyway, I was top seed into the final with a mighty 3 GW 10 VPs. I chose to sit away from Sonam's Spirit Marionette deck and Shawn's !Ventrue stickmen, both for obvious reasons. That put me preying on John Flournoy's Baali (Unnamed Enkil Cog, etc.) (never a bad thing to prey on an infernal deck) and preyed on by John Mickle's obf weenies with Temptation. John Mickle bled me a lot but I managed to keep alive with Villeins and Voter Caps. I eventually got Flournoy when I drew into enough votes (I had easy vote lock and neither predator nor prey showed any intercept). Then Shawn lunged and got John. I went after Sonam, but his defenses were strong. Shawn bled me dangerously low, but left himself open (might as well, we were near time), which let Sonam get him. Then Sonam came after me and with some stealth for Blanche Hill and a top-decked pair of Daring the Dawn he almost had me but time was called.

Here's the decklist with comments:

Deck Name: Torelando
Author: Matt Morgan and Kevin J. Mergen
Description:
Won DC qualifier September 22, 2012. 3 gw, 10 vp in the preliminary rounds and 1.5 vps in the final. 22 players.

Crypt (13 cards; Capacity min=4 max=11 avg=7.85)
================================================
1x Epikasta Rigatos 8 cel AUS DOM PRE Toreador:4
1x Kateline Nadasdy 7 AUS CEL PRE Toreador:4
1x Montecalme 10 obt AUS CEL DOM PRE Toreador:5
1x Mustafa, The Heir 6 cel dom FOR PRE Ventrue:4
5x Orlando Oriundus 9 obf AUS DOM THA !Tremere:4
1x Rafael de Corazon 11 AUS CEL DOM OBF PRE Toreador:4
1x Sheva Carr 4 aus cel dom Toreador:5
1x Vasily 6 aus pre ser CEL Toreador:5
1x Victor Pelletier 5 cel dom for PRE Ventrue:4

/* Never saw the Ventrue at all in four rounds but otherwise had good crypt draws. */

Library (81 cards)
==================
Master (20)
2x Anarch Troublemaker
1x Dreams of the Sphinx
1x Giant's Blood
1x Infernal Pact
1x Information Highway
1x Lilith's Blessing
1x Monastery of Shadows
1x Pentex(TM) Subversion
2x Sudden Reversal
7x Villein
2x Wider View

/* Villein always clumped but otherwise enabled the deck. I Pacted Orlando for Presence a couple of times and voter capped with him for about 15 once. I wouldn't consider it an integral component though. */

Action (8)
8x Govern the Unaligned

/* Could have played a couple Entrancements, but they wouldn't have helped. */

Political Action (15)
1x Anarchist Uprising
1x Ancilla Empowerment
2x Banishment
1x Cardinal Benediction
5x Kine Resources Contested
1x Neonate Breach
2x Parity Shift
1x Praxis Seizure: Monaco
1x Reins of Power

/* Anything missing? I don't think so. This all worked really well. */

Action Modifier (14)
2x Aire of Elation
2x Conditioning
1x Forgotten Labyrinth
2x Perfect Paragon
2x Veil the Legions
5x Voter Captivation

/* Could have had more stealth but I didn't ever face heavy intercept as my prey. I had a wall in the predator position round 2 and got blocked a bit, but I basically just took the table by bleeding forward. */

Reaction (13)
5x Deflection
2x Eyes of Argus
2x On the Qui Vive
1x Second Tradition: Domain
2x Telepathic Misdirection
1x Wake with Evening's Freshness

/* Maybe too much. Bloat and payload is what this deck is about. */

Combat (7)
6x Majesty
1x Torrent

/* Torrent was never played. Probably not a good choice for this deck as there isn't enough CEL. */

Combo (4)
2x Resist Earth's Grasp
2x Scalpel Tongue

/* Didn't have a lot of use for these. I love Scalpel Tongue but didn't need it often. REG is a great card for Toreador, but unplayable by Orlando. */

Created with Secret Library v0.9.3. (Sep 29, 2012 22:55:14)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Adonai

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.044 seconds