file [EC 2012] EC Day2 turn-per-turn report

01 Nov 2012 20:22 #40237 by Lönkka

He plays to win the finals, which means that if he gets the timeout, he wins.

You can feel it's lame or whatever, but the fault of the flawed tournament system (given the current meta and available cardpool) that promotes play like this. See the fairly massive thread on this topic elsewhere.

Brian had some ideas about how to avoid these.
fairly cumbersome but still would put pressure on players to play and finish the table instead of waiting for timeout.

Brian, won't you present the ideas here?

Finnish :POT: Politics!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
02 Nov 2012 13:33 #40284 by elotar

Brian had some ideas about how to avoid these.
fairly cumbersome but still would put pressure on players to play and finish the table instead of waiting for timeout.

Brian, won't you present the ideas here?

Don't know about brian, but banning AT will do the trick.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
07 Nov 2012 06:38 #40481 by AaronC

IMO the most critical points in the game:

Isak: Turn 1 Zillah's, Turn 2 Information Highway
David: Turn 6 immediately broke his deal with Tiago to rush backwards

I disagree. :)

To me, the critical point of the game was just after Isak took his VP (1h30) -which was obvious to me.
The "negociations" between Tomas and I could have done a huge change.
We had the vote lock, I had the damage to oust David and Isaak in 2 turns max and give us a fair duel of 25 minutes(I couldn't move on Tomas and his heavy wall deck but Tomas had very little ousting power).
Unfortunately Tomas did not realize it was our one and ONLY chance and I might not have played the right vote first nor chosen the right words to seal a win/win deal.
I officialy apologize to Tomas for having lost my temper and said a bad word to him. :blush: :)
We did not know each other and yet had to fully trust the other, difficult task indeed.

I watched the video, and I agree with your assessment. What I wrote before was based on only reading the transcript. Those two moments jumped out at me as being noteworthy (I just really hate how the fatty deck always seems to draw one of its two Info Highways in the opening hand).

It's nice that you are magnanimous, but as a spectator, I also felt that Tomasz made a major error in not voting with you. It was hard to see how he was going to be able to oust Isak within the time limit without your damaging votes, even with his (then) standing bleed of 5. It's understandable that he wouldn't want you (as a higher seed) to get a VP, but as he found out, David's combat was still a major threat, meaning that getting rid of David quickly would have been a good thing for him. In a heads-up, his type of deck would seem well-equipped to win against yours, although time would not have been on his side.

It's funny that no one seemed to view Isak as the threat he was. Tiago completely tapped out at 7 pool with a standing bleed of 6 plus Lutz's special behind him. Tomasz was (at first) more concerned about you getting a VP than with ousting Isak. Maybe it was a combination of Isak's multiple crypt searches at the beginning plus the fact that he had the most affable, relaxed manner at the table.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds