1st Tragic Love Affair
Espoo, Finland
May 26th, 2018
2R+F
13 players, Standard constructed
Winner: Karri Malm

www.vekn.net/event-calendar/event/8893
www.facebook.com/events/232389697311256/

It was good to organize the first tournament after half a year's break caused by moving to the second biggest city in Finland, Espoo. The new location required a new title, and I decided to stick to the Toreador theme (even though "Cave of Apples" would have suited the new location).

A characteristic of this tournament was that while the games mostly weren't stagnant as such, few points were gained, and the last spot in the final was drawn between three players with 1,5 VPs (and equal TPs). Another interesting trait was the abundance of Malkavians (of both varieties), who were the main clan in at least five decks (three of which ended up in the same table in round 2).

Final RankNamePrelim GWsPrelim VPsFinal VPsTPs
1Karri Malm02390
2Jyri Puhakka01,5072
2Jani Malmi030114
2Matti Palomäki13172
2Juha Laukkanen131108
6Antti Penttilä01,572
7Petri Wessman01,572
8Jaakko Nurro01,566
9Tero Aalto0172
10Katja Jauhiainen0154
10Juho Linna0154
12Lasse Pöyry00,554
13Emma Takkunen0036

The final table:
  1. Matti Palomäki (Lasombra/Tremere bruise bleed)
  2. Jyri Puhakka (!Malkavians with Toy)
  3. Jani Malmi (!Salubri Wall)
  4. Karri Malm (Xipe Totec toolbox)
  5. Juha Laukkanen (Malkavian bleed)

The winning deck will appear below shortly.

:baal: 2 votes (titled) of Helsinki
Last edit: 26 Oct 2022 08:36 by Ashur.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jannu, Bloodartist

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2018 21:01 - 27 May 2018 12:14 #87544 by Bloodartist
About the final decks:
Matti's deck seemed to be built around the ability to play CrimeThinc. with Thaumaturgy, giving his Lasombra/!tremere anarchs multiacting options (untap an anarch during minion phase with 1 pool). Other than that it was mostly normal dominate stuff.

Jani Malmi's !salubri wall seemed to rely heavily on the new card "righteous aura" for ousting power. Blade of Bellona was also used. Lots of flaming swords or walking sticks were waved around.

I had a single !malk in the crypt, so technically it was malk/!malk stealth bleed.

Some thoughts about the final even though I wasn't the winner:
I was first seed going into the final. I knew I didn't want to sit next to the !salubri, or in front of Matti. I knew all decks except Jyri's so I chose to be in front of Karri (who I considered the least aggressive deck of the table, a toolbox wall) and behind Matti because I was running touch of clarities and Matti was the only practical target for those.

1. Matti (dom/thaum anarchs) -> 2. Jyri (!malk + Toy) -> 3. Jani (!salubri wall) -> 4. Karri (Xipe Totec toolbox) -> 5. Juha (malk/!malk SB)

The wall decks were doing wall things on one side of table, and the other side was bleeding forward relatively aggressively. Unfortunately !salubri and Xipe Totec were too respectful of one another for my taste. I had hoped they would've hit each other more fiercely.

Jyri is suffering from strong combat of the !salubri, who are rushing mostly backwards. Matti ousts Jyri who is caught between flaming swords and multiple dominate bleed minions, then I oust Matti.
Then I get Jani into 1 pool. Ousting Jani would've afaik meant tournament victory for me, as Karri could've only gotten to even 2 points after that, and I was the first seed. Alas, my deck fails to provide stealth cards at the crucial moment and !salubri catch the winning bleed. That will be that as Karri had enough +bleed to oust me. Eventually Karri also ousts Jani for the win with about 10 minutes on the clock.

I took some pictures from the final table but unfortunately the pictures were too shaky without flash..

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 27 May 2018 12:14 by Bloodartist.

More
27 May 2018 11:19 #87561 by drnlmza

Jani Malmi's !salubri wall seemed to rely heavily on the new card "righteous aura" for ousting power. Blade of Bellona was also used. Lots of flaming swords or walking sticks were waved around.

Since Lost Kindred is only legal for tournament play on the 10th of June (see www.vekn.net/card-lists/398-lost%20kindred), this seems problematic.

--
National Coordinator
South Africa

More
27 May 2018 12:11 #87564 by Ankha
Correct, this tournament can't be rated.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
27 May 2018 12:17 #87565 by Bloodartist
Well this tournament was tragic for sure...

Poor Darvag. Still no TWDA appearance. :(

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

More
27 May 2018 12:20 #87566 by UFOPOLI
Not much to do about it, then, than to have a new one.

:baal: 2 votes (titled) of Helsinki

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds