lightbulb TWD – 1st Tragic Love Affair

28 May 2018 11:01 #87596 by Brum

Is this really the thing to do? When there is a problem with a player's deck, even if it is uncaught all the way to the finals, should the repercussions of this hit everyone in the tournament - and most of all the winner, who is denied the TWDA entry?

Yes, for the following reasons:
All players in official tournaments must know the rules.
Judges are volunteers that must enforce the rules.

The responsibility is shared by all in the tournament.

Having said that, yes, the volunteer judges have a lot more visibility and a lot more knowledge (usually).
Also a lot more work.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 May 2018 13:34 - 28 May 2018 13:47 #87610 by Bloodartist
So far I haven't met anyone who was considerably upset about this tournament being unrated, although I haven't talked to Karri who won it. I guess most every participant didn't really care that much at the time of the tournament. Casual is the word.

However, I'd like to raise awareness that the information when the set is legal is hidden pretty goddamn well.

As far as I can see, the information regarding lost kindred legality is only in the header of lost kindred release, a post that I cannot even find by scrolling the forum or the front page of this site. I can see it if I follow the link given by DrnImza in this thread, but I don't actually know where it is. Its probably been buried under all the clan spoiler posts. I cant find it browsing the forum since I'm not sure where to look. The information doesn't appear anywhere else that I can see.

Browsing quickly, the information is not mentioned in the lost kindred FAQ. There was a question in the LK FAQ thread about the legality date, but it was left unanswered.

Forum search "lost kindred legal" brings up mainly this thread.

Tournament rules mention however that new releases become legal apporx. 30 days after release. Finding this rule takes some digging as well. Its however something that tournament organisers should obviously be aware of.

Jaakko said to me that he searched for the legality date from here before tournament started but couldn't find it. I can't find it right now, except for that link in this thread.

Can we, during future releases, make a clear, stickied FAQ thread that actually mentions the legality date? Lost kindred FAQ is not even stickied right now, and it doesn't even mention the date.

ps. I just did a forum search with exact phrase "Legal for tournament play" as it appears in the lost kindred release post, search can't find it. It comes up with hundred unrelated posts however.

pps. Ok I found the post. Its in Rules - Cardlists - Lost kindred. I think it should be mentioned elsewhere as well.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 28 May 2018 13:47 by Bloodartist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Damnans, Vlad

More
28 May 2018 13:40 #87611 by Kraus
And on the main page as well, not forums at all. All relevant and up to date tournament and game information should be clearly accessible without forums.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines

More
28 May 2018 17:42 #87621 by Lönkka
It has been standard operating procedure for who knows how long that new releases have a short period after the release (a month or so) during which they are not legal for tournament play.

Perhaps in the past the judges tended to remind players of this, or I at least remember Petri sometimes having mentioned this before his tournaments.

I'm not sure if the judge was familiar with this detail; he is relatively new one both as a player and as a judge. If he knew about it and decided to let Jani play with illegal cards since he drove a long way to the tournament (at least 2 hours, or if from Joensuu then 5 and half hours) he perhaps thought that not being able to play after such a long travel would be a real bummer?

Still, the VEKN Ratings Coordinator Ankha already issued his verdict (4th post in this thread) so I think it is kinda settled.

Even it sucks big time for Karri (the winner).

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
28 May 2018 18:14 #87624 by Ankha
Still, the archon can be uploaded. I've changed it's format to Unsanctioned.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
31 May 2018 20:20 - 31 May 2018 20:21 #87796 by UFOPOLI

I'm not sure if the judge was familiar with this detail; he is relatively new one both as a player and as a judge.

You're obviously referring to me here. I wasn't the head judge of the tournament (it was Petri) but I was the organizer, obviously. There was, indeed, discussion about the new cards' legality before the tournament started. I tried to find the information but couldn't find any, and as nobody present seemed to think they wouldn't be legal, went with this.

When it comes to being new, well yes, these are the first new cards to be published during the time I've played the game.

Still, the archon can be uploaded. I've changed it's format to Unsanctioned.

All right, I'll reupload it with that type.

:baal: 2 votes (titled) of Helsinki
Last edit: 31 May 2018 20:21 by UFOPOLI.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds