lightbulb TWD: Rage Across Appalachia 3 - Nov. 18, 2018 (Asheville, North Carolina, US)

19 Nov 2018 20:21 - 26 Oct 2022 11:04 #91898 by CelestialChoir
Deck Name: Undue Influence Anarch !Toreador
Author: Justin Lacey

2gw8 --- 3 VPs in the final.

The most effective way to gain pool is to oust your prey. Your most important priority is to Sudden your prey's pool gain and block any action that gives them pool or allows them to stabilize. Otherwise Mind Numb the intercept Wall (Majesty and unlock if they block), play Undue Influence. Use your transfers to add more vampires from your crypt. It is not uncommon to have 4-5 vampires in play and the deck increases in speed over time.

Note: This deck is a mid-range deck that feels like a weenie deck and more importantly has enough unlock to stop other weenie decks. This has been one of my favorite pet decks for years. If you are a player (like myself) that often has bad library and crypt draws, this deck is on the safe side.

Crypt (15 cards, min=4, max=23, avg=3.46)
5 Anarch Convert 1 -none- Caitiff:ANY
1 Greta Kircher 7 AUS CEL PRE obf Toreador antitribu:2
1 Sheila Mezarin 6 AUS PRE cel for Toreador antitribu:2
1 Jost Werner 6 AUS PRE ani Toreador antitribu:2
1 Mercy, Knight Inquisitor 5 AUS cel dom pre Toreador antitribu:2
1 Creamy Jade 5 PRE aus cel vic Toreador antitribu:3
1 Remilliard, Devout Crusader 4 AUS pre Toreador antitribu:2
1 Sabrina 4 aus cel pre Toreador antitribu:3
1 Lolita 3 for pre Toreador antitribu:2

Note: If you can get an Anarch !Toreador into play first turn, then do that; otherwise Greta is probably the most valuable starting Vampire. Her ability gives you breathing room and feels like a pool reserve. The worst crypt is 4 Anarch Converts; which is the only reason I haven't upped the crypt count to 6 Anarch Converts.

Library (83)
=====================

Action (23)
20 Undue Influence
3 Mind Numb

Recommend: -1 Mind Numb, +1 Aranthebes, The Immortal
Why: Mind Numb is meant to deal with a Wall. Having multiple in hand is bad. I've definitely had to discard Mind Numb. On the other hand, Greta + Aranthebes would have been fantastic. Plus, you do *not* want your prey to have this card on the table, so happily contest it.

Action Modifier (8)
8 Power of One

Combat (8)
4 Majesty
4 Staredown

Note: Considering upping the combat. I used all of these cards, every game and still had to punch for 1. Maybe go to 85 cards to add either +2 Majesty, Staredown, or Catatonic Fear.

Equipment (1)
1 Heart of Nizchetus

Masters (16)
4 Palla Grande
3 Vessel
3 Dreams of the Sphinx
2 Sudden Reversal
1 Twilight Camp
1 Pentex Subversion
1 The Anarch Free Press
1 Powerbase: Los Angeles

Recommend: -3 Vessel, +2 Effective Management, +1 Twilight Camp or Seattle Committee
Why: Vessel was meant to kill the prey's blood doll, but Villein (even nerfed) is still much more common. Effective Management is the single card that would have been useful in every game. Also, not having Twilight Camp on the table means I make play mistakes (remember to mark Anarch or take the action to turn Anarch immediately). IMHO, Twilight Camp is superior to Seattle Committee, but either are reasonable. Could run more Suddens, Info Highway, Anarch Troublemaker, Misdirection, Life in the City, or Anarch Railroad, but what to cut?

Reactions (27)
5 Telepathic Misdirection
5 My Enemy's Enemy
5 Eyes of Argus
5 On the Qui Vive
4 Wake with Evening's Freshness
3 Guardian Vigil

Recommend: -1 Telepathic Misdirection, -1 My Enemy's Enemy, +2 Gear Up.
Why: Bleed Bounce is a little hit or miss. I have never needed all of them. Guardian Vigil is superior to both TM and MEE when it comes to intercept (especially if you trigger the "optional maneuver" or "do not lock" text). You will commonly discard TM or MEE to Powerbase: Los Angeles and you would rather discard an anarch card. On the other hand, Gear Up is +1 stealth which "can" be used for non-bleed actions. Worst case scenario, you cycle it for a blood for an unnecessary +1 stealth or unlock an Anarch with the Powerbase. Best case scenario Jost + Gear Up + Mind Numb is +3 Stealth lock-down. Either way, Gear Up is better than an unreliable Daring the Dawn for this deck.

General Notes: You might be tempted to cut the total number of cards to make this deck smaller; don't. The weak cards in the deck are Pentex Subversion or Mind Numb and they both serve the same function. Most times this deck flows like water and I've almost ran out of cards. Most of your bleeds are in the 2-3 range, meaning you are usually not a target of Archon Investigation, but you need to push bleed with multiple vampires to oust. So if a vampire falls into torpor; rescue ASAP. You want the actions. Think of it like this... 20 Undue Influence is like 20 free pool worth of vampires and you are bleeding your prey the entire time, so this is an extremely efficient card.

Prince of Asheville
:fose: :PRE: :SER: :AUS: :cel: :life7:
Last edit: 26 Oct 2022 11:04 by Ashur. Reason: forgot author's name
The following user(s) said Thank You: vragozakas, Cerion, jblacey, LivesByProxy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Nov 2018 21:36 - 19 Nov 2018 21:40 #91900 by LivesByProxy
Really loving this write-up and analysis. The game needs more authors willing to give us the details and specs to understand their thought process.

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2018 21:40 by LivesByProxy. Reason: spelling
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tharimvol, lionel, jblacey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.064 seconds