file Melee weapon idea's

03 May 2016 02:08 - 03 May 2016 17:36 #76752 by Maddog
Melee weapon idea's was created by Maddog
I thought to continue the discussion regarding melee weapons here rather than hi-jack the "Bloodline needs discussion". Be good to hear possible solutions to some of the issues/weaknesses you think melee weapons have, and more importantly possible solutions.

Game need: Range weapon's have a big advantage vs melee, for one being able to maneuver to the safety of long range away from nasty hand strikes, claws, melee ect. I think by adding useful cards for Melee would encourage players to actually use melee weapons more than just the old Weighted Walking Stick + Target Vital, being a more desirable vs melee weapon, As you get a built in concealed weapon effect, it's free and it takes up less space in your deck (making it a very effective combo).

I'm not 100% sure if we need more useful melee weapons, maybe just game cards would help them shine.

Here are some melee weapons:- Argent Baton, Bang Nakh, Banshee Ironwill, Baseball bat, Bastard Sword, Black Gloves, Blade of Enoch Brass Knuckles, Bundi, Crimson Sentinel, Dagger, Garrote, Gas powered Chainsaw, Joumlon's Axe, Kerrie, Meat Cleaver, Meat Hook, Nightstick, Poker, Rowan Ring, Segir Dagger, Sword of Judgement !bruj! Sword of Nuln :trem: Sword of Troile :bruj: Talith :ravn: Wooden Stake, Kali's Fang :assa: Femur of Toomler :tzim: , Crusader Sword & Living Wood Staff :aven: (imbued),

Giving melee weapons a built in maneuver only usable to maneuver to close might be useful.
Maybe a ruling that range weapons at close only do half damage?

Below is a few extra card idea’s, that may help melee be more of useful:-

Name:Visceral Attack
Type: Combat
Cost:0

Do not replace until after combat.
Only usable by a minion with an equipped melee weapon
This melee weapon strike is at +1 damage or maneuver to close range

Name: On Guard
Type: Unique Master
Cost: 1

Put this card in play with 4 counters, burn a counter every time this card is tapped. Burn this card when it has 0 counters. While in combat you may tap this card before range is determined to equip this minion with the first non-unique melee weapon you find in your hand or library (working down from the top). Or you may tap this card to gain a, only usable to go to close range.

Of course It is not just Immortal grapples that contribute to melee weapons not being used, strike combat ends also is another issue with melee weapons ( & range weapons), which means you need to play with psyche, telepathic tracking, thoughts betrayed ect. On top of this you need to have some sort of prevent damage up close with melee (not so much with range weapon with built in maneuver).

I think if they made melee weapons a "hand strike"(like bundi) you could use them when being immortal grappled, or while grappling others. If I play potence deck, I'll always choose preternatural strength & Heroic Might over melee weapons, they so much more useful, they cost blood vs pool, they have built in +2 (or +3 stealth for H.M) built in vs default +1s for melee or having to stuff your deck with concealed or /disguised weapons to increase you chances of equipping them.

I hope we don't see more anti-Immortal Grapple cards, as I think we have enough (see below)

A few cards I can think of:-

Groundfighting
Requires a ready Anarch. Do not replace until after combat.
Maneuver or press or burn 1 blood to cancel a combat card played by the opposing minion that would restrict this Anarch's choice of strikes this round as it is played.

Disengage
Do not replace until after combat.
Press, only usable to end combat. Alternatively, burn 1 blood to cancel a grapple card (such as Immortal Grapple or Mighty Grapple) as it is played (no cost is paid for that card).

Immense Size:-
Only usable before range is determined.
The opposing minion cannot play grapple cards (such as Immortal Grapple and Mighty Grapple) this combat. A vampire may play only one Immense Size each combat.

Charismatic Aura
Burn 1 blood to cancel the opposing minion's strike card or grapple card as it is played (no cost is paid). A vampire may play only one Charismatic Aura at inferior each round.
Fae Contortion
Cancel a grapple card played on this vampire as it is played (no cost is paid).[/i]

Joumlon's Axe
Unique melee weapon. Cold iron.
Strike: strength+1 damage. Once each combat, bearer may cancel a grapple card played by the opposing minion as it is played (no cost is paid), and bearer's initial strike this round must be (or have been) with this weapon (not usable otherwise)

Be nice to hear some of your idea's and thoughts.
Last edit: 03 May 2016 17:36 by Maddog.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2016 03:43 - 03 May 2016 03:45 #76753 by Zombieking
Replied by Zombieking on topic Melee weapon idea's
Would be ace to see combat equipment which could provide out of combat bonuses to the bearer - bleed, stealth, intercept, hand size, etc. not only giving a strength increase

I think the sword of troile is an interesting example of this - as a piece of equipment which locks you into using it in melee combat but give discipline increase.
I imagine the WOD lore has other kooky equipment which could provide some interesting abilities!

Sword of Troile
[Equipment] [Brujah] [3 Pool]
Unique melee weapon.
Strike: strength+2 damage. The vampire with this card has superior Potence [POT] and superior Presence (PRE) . Each strike the bearer makes at close range must be with this weapon if possible. Bearer cannot use maneuvers to go to long range.
Last edit: 03 May 2016 03:45 by Zombieking.

More
04 May 2016 04:29 #76763 by Maddog
Replied by Maddog on topic Melee weapon idea's

Would be ace to see combat equipment which could provide out of combat bonuses to the bearer - bleed, stealth, intercept, hand size, etc. not only giving a strength increase

I think the sword of troile is an interesting example of this - as a piece of equipment which locks you into using it in melee combat but give discipline increase.
I imagine the WOD lore has other kooky equipment which could provide some interesting abilities!

I agree options/bonuses outside of combat (to the bearer) - bleed, stealth, intercept, hand size, and so on could add some interesting flavor to melee.

More
04 May 2016 08:07 #76768 by 666Raziel
Replied by 666Raziel on topic Melee weapon idea's

I agree options/bonuses outside of combat (to the bearer) - bleed, stealth, intercept, hand size, and so on could add some interesting flavor to melee.

+1

I think many of the already existing weapon would be better if they add something outside combat.

Ex :

Meat Cleaver
Type: Equipment
Cost: 1 pool
Melee weapon.
Strength+1 damage each strike.
When this vampire successfully hunts for the first time each turn, he or she gains 1 additional blood. Not usable during mandatory hunt.

Bastard Sword
Melee weapon.
This vampire gets +1 bleed when bleeding without using Discipline or action cards.

More
04 May 2016 18:26 #76778 by GreyB
Replied by GreyB on topic Melee weapon idea's

+1

I think many of the already existing weapon would be better if they add something outside combat.

Ex :

Meat Cleaver
Melee weapon.
When this vampire successfully hunts for the first time each turn, he or she gains 1 additional blood. Not usable during mandatory hunt.

Bastard Sword
Melee weapon.
This vampire gets +1 bleed when bleeding without using Discipline or action cards.

With mythical weapons perhaps, with a kitchen knife... Thats really stretching my imagination.

:garg: :VIS: :POT: :FOR: :flight: -1 Strength

More
08 May 2016 02:38 #76817 by Boris The Blade
Replied by Boris The Blade on topic Melee weapon idea's
How about some defensive combat effects? Something like:

Strike: Dodge, with additional strike: Strength+X. Only usable at close range.

Or:

Strike: Strength+X, and prevent Y damage from the opposing minion's strike. Only usable at close range.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds