file Submission: close the distance

04 May 2018 13:23 #86441 by self biased
Name: Close the Distance
Cardtype: Combat
Cost: 1 blood
Discipline: potence and celerity

Requires a Melee Weapon.
:pot: Maneuver.
:cel: as :pot: above, with an optional Maneuver.
:CEL: :POT: if the range is close, end the maneuvers segment. Ranged strikes may not be chosen for the remaineder of the round, and this minion must make a melee weapon strike.

Flavor text: "i had them in my sights and then just suddenly they were right in front of me!" -Vance Lafayette, Toreador.

Art notes: Burly vampire deflecting a rifle held by another vampire and engaging in close quarters combat with a chainsaw.

World of Darkness reference:

How does this card address a compelling game need?: intent is to make melee weapons suck less.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2018 14:41 #86445 by kschaefer
Interesting in not choosing to use the double inferior approach. However, I'd use a pattern more like Elemental Stoicism. That makes the second level really file like it's stacking with the first appropriately.

Not sure I like the superior effect; it's adding a new thing to combat by ending a determine range step early. Do we really need another combat nuance like that? I'd rather it be a set range effect. That said the need for the double maneuver is moot. How about:

Requires a Melee Weapon.
:pot: Maneuver and this vampire's first strike this round must be with a melee weapon.
:cel::pot: above, with an optional additional strike only usable to strike with a melee weapon..
:CEL: :POT: Set range for this round to close. Skip the determine range step. Ranged strikes may not be chosen for the remainder of the round, and this minion must make a melee weapon strike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased

More
04 May 2018 15:59 #86446 by self biased
I'm typing with my thumbs, so i try to be as succinct as possible.

Not sure if i like the additional strike, but as written you have to use it for the maneuver before getting the strike. I wanted to give melee weapons a way to counteract the ubiquitous maneuvers found on guns.

Maybe add a pre-range clause for superior? Id have to look at how others are worded to be sure.

More
04 May 2018 16:54 #86449 by kschaefer
Right the :cel::pot: level is a little busted. Should be the add strike with an optional man, then? I was trying to get away from the second maneuver because of the set-range suggestion. Could be a press, but that's not as good as Flash. Hmm.

All in all, I'd love to see more cards that rely on Melee Weapons. To be honest, I'd like to see things for all weapons. Suppressing Fire was too weak, but I liked the thought. Hope you've got more coming.

More
05 May 2018 08:13 #86458 by Lönkka
I'll agree to (almost) anything to make Melee Weapons actually more useable.

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
05 May 2018 18:35 - 05 May 2018 18:39 #86479 by Bloodartist
I'd also like the strong effect be setting range, rather than multiple maneuvers or the original weird wording. I'd also like to see an optional additional strike only for melee weapons.

However, about making melee weapons more meaningful: I'd also like the card be such that it does something useful even without a melee weapon. I really don't like cards that are largely useless unless some rather difficult condition is fulfilled. For this reason I'd like the strong effect to be worded "<something>, then If you have a melee weapon equipped, <something extra>".

:cel: Strike: dodge
:cel: :pot: Maneuver, only usable to maneuver to close range.
:CEL: :POT: Before range is determined, this minion may set the range to close; If he or she does so, skip the determine range step this round. Then if this minion has a melee weapon equipped, he or she gains an optional additional strike this round, only usable to strike with a melee weapon.

ps. Wooden stakes, lets go!

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 05 May 2018 18:39 by Bloodartist.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds