lightbulb [Submission] Running Interference (Cel+Obf = +Intercept)

04 Aug 2018 15:10 #89637 by LivesByProxy
The point was to enable many small bleeds, that's why it ignores bleeds greater than 2.

This was actually what Kraus suggested after The Unnamed was mentioned and considered.

Ideally though, it would be !Gangrel with Laptop Computers and such.

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Aug 2018 15:29 #89638 by jblacey

A while back I submitted the idea for a card to grant Assamites and !Gangrel an additional bleed. With some help, the final form looked like this:

Cardtype: Action Modifier :modifier:
Cost: 1 :blood:
Discipline: :cel: :obf:
Only usable after a successful bleed action. A vampire may play only one Running Errands each turn.
:cel: :obf: This vampire may take an additional bleed this turn. If more than 2 pool is bled from that action, ignore the excess.
:CEL: :OBF: As above, but usable after an unsuccessful bleed action.

The card was called Running Errands and the flavor text was:
"Where were you last night?" -Maria Stone.
"Running errands." -Luke Fellows.

Might seem boring, but why not this?

Running Errands
:modifier:
Only usable during a bleed action.
:cel: :obf: +1 bleed [limited]
:CEL: :OBF: +2 bleed [limited]

More
04 Aug 2018 16:29 #89639 by LivesByProxy
Mostly because it would be boring. Also because printing such a card is basically admitting that game's design space has already been explored and that our creative ability has reached its limit.

Granted, "additional bleed action this turn" is not my original idea. But it does only appear on one card that I know of: Taking The Skin: Minion. I choose that mechanic specifically because it wasn't +bleed. It gives the !Gangrel and Assamites a way of ousting that is kind of unique to them.

But I am in the minority of people here, because I want to see conditional +bleed effects (not just Conditioning in every Discipline.) Saying +2 bleed if no block attempts were made, or +3 bleed if this vampire cast votes in a successful referendum since your last turn, for example, adds flavor to cards and supports different strategies.

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.

More
04 Aug 2018 17:53 - 04 Aug 2018 18:09 #89640 by jblacey

Mostly because it would be boring.

Fair, but I would caution against trying to make every single card as a "clan defining strategy". As an example, I think there may be a backlash against Emerald Legionnaire in the future...

Also because printing such a card is basically admitting that game's design space has already been explored and that our creative ability has reached its limit.

I don't think that is true. I find that simply designed cards are elegant and typically easier for new players to absorb. When I see 4 lines of card text that could re-written as :reaction: "Wake and ..." that seems like a missed opportunity.

And if you want a new unique mechanic for !gang! :assa: look at: www.vekn.net/forum/expansion-sets-card-ideas/76799-submission-relentless-hunter

It isn't perfect, but it definitely feels like a mechanic that has never existed in V:tES.

Granted, "additional bleed action this turn" is not my original idea. But it does only appear on one card that I know of: Taking The Skin: Minion. I choose that mechanic specifically because it wasn't +bleed. It gives the !Gangrel and Assamites a way of ousting that is kind of unique to them.

Multiple action bleed is unfortunately not new as I clearly remember multiple bleeds in a turn... before non-repeat action became a rule. Yeah, I am old.

But I am in the minority of people here, because I want to see conditional +bleed effects (not just Conditioning in every Discipline.) Saying +2 bleed if no block attempts were made, or +3 bleed if this vampire cast votes in a successful referendum since your last turn, for example, adds flavor to cards and supports different strategies.

Conditional bleed modifiers are fine, IMHO. I would recommend limiting the size of the bleed modifier as the card efficient of bleed bonus above +2 is extremely strong. If you want multiple actions to be defining strategy, this might be better.

Running Errands
:CEL: :OBF: As above, and if no reactions were played the acting vampire may burn a :blood: to unlock at the end of the action.

Better?
Last edit: 04 Aug 2018 18:09 by jblacey.

More
04 Aug 2018 19:46 #89646 by LivesByProxy

Running Errands
:CEL: :OBF: As above, and if no reactions were played the acting vampire may burn a :blood: to unlock at the end of the action.

Better?

No, and for one major reason: Cat Burglary. :P
I really want to play Cat Burglary, but it's just not good enough IMO. (IDK, I haven't tried it.)
Goal with the "additional bleed action" idea was to enable Cat Burglary and the notorious computer hackers Luke Fellows and Synner-G.

More
04 Aug 2018 20:21 - 04 Aug 2018 20:24 #89650 by jblacey

No, and for one major reason: Cat Burglary. :P

So I am going to say something that I rarely say... Cat Burglary is a bad card and you would be better off if you pretend it doesn't exist. It is a trap. It takes the greatest weakness of Celerity (a lack of bleed bonuses) and doubles down on the idea. Unlike Night Moves, Cat Burglary is only +1 stealth and unlike Speed of Thought if they have +1 intercept from anything you will get blocked. Both are better cards.

Please don't play that Cat Burglary, ever. Seriously if you absolutely want a Celerity bleed action with innate stealth use Fleetness.

You would be so much better off using Fiendish Tongue, with laptops then filling the rest of the deck with stealth/combat cards. City Gangrel in particular have access to more unique sources of stealth than any other clan in the game.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2018 20:24 by jblacey.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds