file [Suggestion] Sect and Title icons

04 Sep 2018 20:15 #90414 by cmdrKEEN
I dont know if it was suggested somewhere already, but in the process of harmonizing different aspects the game and make it more accessable I want to make following suggestion.

As symbols for the various sects already exist, I propose to use them in the same way as we already use clan or discipline symbols. Like these, sect symbols could be used on the left border of library cards to indicate a prerequesite to play them.

The next suggestion would be to create symbols for the various titles in the game. Different simple outer shapes could indicate the number of votes the title grants and a sect symbol inside could indicate if the votes and title is associated with being in a specific sect. This would help with the fact, that at the moment especially new players have to memorize a lot of strange sounding title names to know how many votes are on the table. Once again, there title symbols could then also appear on the left side of library cards to indicate, that only minions with specific titles can play them.

If this is something that has already been under discussion I am sorry, but i have failed to find anything about it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2018 21:49 #90415 by Bloodartist
Idea for symbols for titles is pretty good now that I think about it. The best part is that the number of votes could be included in the symbol. For example, Camarilla titles could be crowns. One crown for primogen, two for prince, three for justicar and four for inner circle. Not sure what would be suitable symbol for sabbat, anarch and independent titles, but same logic could be applied.

For future merchandise, counters with these symbols on them could also be made.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

More
04 Sep 2018 23:38 #90419 by cmdrKEEN
I used my very limited MS-Paint art skills to create symbols that hopefully show, what i want to propose here. Someone with better skills in this can most defenitely come up with better versions of this and would be very welcomed to do so.

In this first version I tried to make the icons resemble a crown with a number of tips according to the number of votes, the title grant.

The second version has the sect symbol more prominent with bars added to indicate the number of votes. These could be something more elaborate, of course but I hope you get the meaning.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased

More
05 Sep 2018 02:28 #90420 by self biased
I like the idea. but it does raise the question of the independent pseudo-titles and how to best represent them in this format. the easy thing to do would be to do away with the (1 vote; titled) and give independent vamps actual titles of their own and make things work like they do for every other sect, but this is utter madness to some people. YMMV

More
05 Sep 2018 12:15 - 05 Sep 2018 12:16 #90433 by Bloodartist

The second version has the sect symbol more prominent with bars added to indicate the number of votes. These could be something more elaborate, of course but I hope you get the meaning.

While I appreciate the effort, I'm pretty sure those standard sect icons will look too similar when in microscopic size, in a dark, smoky pub across a big table where VTES is usually played... I think the icons need to be something that is easier to tell apart at a distance. IT could be that camarilla icon has white background and sabbat has black background?

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 05 Sep 2018 12:16 by Bloodartist.

More
05 Sep 2018 15:50 #90438 by kschaefer

\the easy thing to do would be to do away with the (1 vote; titled) and give independent vamps actual titles of their own

X Votes is not sect dependent. Any vampire of any sect can have an X Votes title.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds