file Submission: Versus the world

23 Oct 2018 18:43 - 23 Oct 2018 18:45 #91447 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic Suggestion: Versus the world

Sudden Reversal is definetily not played in nearly all decks because it has a big cost to your own master usage also, and most decks prefer to run more proactive masters. It is mostly played in fast aggressive decks that want to stop their prey villeining.

People really only play a couple sudden/wash for pentex and even then it is so dicey as to be questionable. Unless its the aforementioned aggressive bleed deck most of the time it sits in your hand or leads to random cancellation of master cards.

I play it only for Villein. If I don't play an aggressive bleed deck, I rarely bother with slotting Sudden. If I need to protect against Pentex, I slot more Pentex.

And that's how I've seen it played for some time now, locally.

If this card was printed, I'd call using a Sudden on it a waste of time. Thus, I wouldn't clutter the card text with 'once per game' or 'cannot be cancelled'. Slap in Unique, as someone suggested, and call it a day. It has a similar power level as Anathema, and that's rarely played. Strong when pulled off, but not spectacular.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines
Last edit: 23 Oct 2018 18:45 by Kraus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2018 19:37 #91448 by Mewcat
Replied by Mewcat on topic Suggestion: Versus the world
Yeah, I'm with you. Sometimes games devolve into this pentex sudden pentex counter pentex sudden war, where the end game is played out entirely in master phase. If you play pentex friendly crypts the desire to play sudden drops through the floor.

More
25 Oct 2018 00:48 #91472 by ReverendRevolver
I'd drop uncounterable and make it "a methuselah can only play one".

It's not quite as hard to get off as Becoming of Ennoia, but it's still a lot of work. Even Matusuntha cant reliably do this at a specific right time, and shes quite strong. Even with access to Deep Song, TTCB, Nose of the hound :aus: , Sense death :ani: , maybe charge of the buffalo :for: , and bums rush/harass, you probably run 4 at the absolute most, 3 is more likely.
And then, you need to reliably draw the right mix of :CEL: stuff to torp things, and enough forced March, Instantaneous transformation, psyce+earth meld to untap after torping, draw another rush, and repeat twice more.
Reliably, hitting the third rush isn't easy.
Theres cog, theres blocking, but blocking relies on someone else acting knowing they could lose a minion and give you 10 pool.

Cool card, hard to trigger. Seems balanced.

More
25 Oct 2018 11:27 #91478 by Bloodartist

"a methuselah can only play one".

This would be a pretty great replacement for the "only one can be played in a a game" text. I hate having blank cardboard in my decks.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

More
25 Oct 2018 11:42 - 25 Oct 2018 11:42 #91479 by Kraus
Replied by Kraus on topic Suggestion: Versus the world

"a methuselah can only play one".

This would be a pretty great replacement for the "only one can be played in a a game" text. I hate having blank cardboard in my decks.

Before playtesting, I wouldn't call this powerful enough to warrant that restriction. If you base a strategy around this, Monster and a multiact/block tech of your choosing, include 2 or 3 copies of it, play the first one and are left with other copies as blank cardboard in your deck, it's a feels_bad_man situation all over again.

I'd really urge for the unique restriction instead. But only playtesting would tell how powerful this would be in action.

If you really can pull this off more than once a game and not have the table time out, all the more power to you, I'd say.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines
Last edit: 25 Oct 2018 11:42 by Kraus.

More
25 Oct 2018 11:54 - 25 Oct 2018 12:00 #91480 by Bloodartist

If you really can pull this off more than once a game and not have the table time out, all the more power to you, I'd say.

The payoff effect (gaining capacitys worth of pool) was so strong I felt uneasy making it unrestricted.

The issue for not having that text are twofold imo: You could play two of them on the same vampire and then gain double capacity's worth of pool for pulling this off ONCE. So Matasuntha player gains 20 pool for killing three legionnaires/nephandi/weenies in a turn? Sound about right to you?

The other way of restricting it would be to make it unique which I adamantly DON'T want to do. This is not the kind of card I want to see contested, or actually receive same status as giant's blood where you put it in your deck and play it just to deny its effect from other methuselahs. I want to see cards with cool effects, not the same solution for everything (contesting). Besides fluffwise contesting this card would make no sense whatsoever. What are you fighting for control over exactly?

A possible halfway solution might be to make it so that a vampire can have only one of these, but no other restrictions? You are right that its really difficult pulling off two of these in a game, but pulling it off once with twice the benefit is something we should be wary of.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 25 Oct 2018 12:00 by Bloodartist.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.098 seconds