file Crushing Grip (Potence Votes)

17 Jan 2019 14:53 #92970 by LivesByProxy
Crushing Grip
Action Modifier :modifier: :pot: Only usable during a referendum. Choose a vampire. Force the chosen vampire to cast votes and ballots as you wish unless he or she takes 2 damage or has basic Fortitude :for:.
Reaction :reaction: :POT: As above, but unless the chosen vampire takes 3 damage or has superior Fortitude :FOR:.

This arose from ReverendRevolver's comment on the Lasombra having Potence, and how a Potence vote card would help them out. I considered adding a third option that did something with grapples but IDK. Numbers might be over-tuned? What do you think?

Art: Two vampires shaking hands, one wincing in pain, the other smirking.

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lionel

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2019 15:01 #92971 by Timo
Replied by Timo on topic Crushing Grip (Potence Votes)
Actually, I don't understand all of you people wanting every discipline to be good in all sort of things...

Potence is good at smashing things.

It is normal, flavour and should stay at this place.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ezra, Cat_in_Exile

More
17 Jan 2019 16:21 #92973 by jamesatzephyr
I take Timo's point, but I think it's possible to do something in-theme for Potence while being different enough still. I wouldn't make it a "cast votes this way or take damage". I'd be more likely to just make it an effect that hurts the vampire if they vote a certain way - perhaps against the referendum, or perhaps in disagreement with this vampire - that hits them for damage. The threat and negotiation comes from the players, rather than being on the card. If available as a reaction, though, I'd be concerned about the ability to stack it.

However, on LivesByProxy's original point:

This arose from ReverendRevolver's comment on the Lasombra having Potence, and how a Potence vote card would help them out.

... I'd be tempted to make a card that's more like obt+pot, to allow for a more distinct flavour - and to avoid handing more tech to the very well-off Brujah. Being able to vote-push Parity Shift and potentially beat people up at the same time is probably not great.

More
17 Jan 2019 18:41 #92978 by jblacey
I am for giving Potence some more versatility, but IMHO this is not the way to do it.

1) Vote change cards already exist are largely poor versions of +votes.
2) Thematically, the card doesn't make any sense.
3) Timing wise, I would rather not see any damage done outside of combat.
4) There is no synergy with other potence cards in this interaction, meaning this is single card interaction and doesn't help round out any strategies or build a new archetype.

I will create another thread to post an alternative.

More
17 Jan 2019 19:26 #92981 by jamesatzephyr

That ship has long since sailed. Shadow Twin, Horseshoes, Tribunal Judgment, Abyssal Hunter, Catatonic Fear, Path of X cards (burn clauses), Car Bomb, Jaroslav Pascek, Kamiri wa Itherero, Kahina the Sorceress, Nostoket, Mamadou Keita, Tanginé, Edged Illusion, Shattering Crescendo, Unleash Hell's Fury, Travelers Obey the Tenets, Crocodile Temple, Frozen Object... Some are (much) better than others, but that's not really a genie that can go back in the bottle.

(Plus also Inquisition, which is a card I do not understand the existence of.)

More
17 Jan 2019 19:42 #92985 by jblacey

That ship has long since sailed.

I would rather not see any more damage done outside of combat.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds