file Submission: The Edge of Disaster

21 Jan 2019 19:32 #93051 by DJHedgehog
The Edge of Disaster
Unique Master
2 Pool

During your unlock phase, discard the top card of your library.

While this card is in play, no cards may be moved out of any player's discard pile.

If a player has no cards in their Library during their Unlock Phase, that player loses 2 pool.

Any vampire may destroy The Edge of Disaster as a D action that costs 2 pool.

I want deck destruction to be a thing! Brinkmanship isn't a viable option. This at least gives some opportunity for those decks to exist without being an instant loss or without any answers.

Feedback welcome!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2019 19:47 #93052 by LivesByProxy
The issue I have with this card is:

It's a Master card.

I want this game to be about my vampires doing stuff. Maybe if this were a Political Action, and could stack (doing only 1 pool loss if they have no deck), I would be more enthusiastic. And we already have so many powerful Master cards competing for deck-slots as it is.

A while back I suggested a Political Action that milled half of someone's library under some condition, because Political Actions should be more potent since they have to first pass blocks and then pass the vote. (And because 9/10ths of the Political Actions are too weak / unplayable.)

Cool card name, but figure out a way to make it a card requiring vampires doing stuff and using their disciplines and you'll have my vote.

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.

More
21 Jan 2019 20:06 - 21 Jan 2019 20:08 #93053 by Kraus
Even though it is a master card, you'll have to spend pool to play it (which is protected by your vampires), and you'll have to use your vampires to protect it from other players' vampires.

That it's a master card doesn't make it uninteractive. I think this particular design has everything to do with minion interaction.

I'll have to say that I'm getting really menacing vibes from this. Milling isn't something that I'm fond of, since that exactly takes away minion interaction - milling actively makes someone's play style or deck obsolete. Sure, if it's done through minion actions, but still. We have Slaughterhouse and that should always be taken into account. Has nothing to do with interactivity.

Someone will break the card. :D I don't know how, but it will be broken. But yeah, it could make Harbinger Slaughterhouse wall a thing. I don't know if Harbinger walls need much extra help though. If you REALLY wanted to make milling a winning strat within already established game designs, this would probably be the power level it should be done.

It has a nice effect of hitting Ashur Tablets, even if it seems a bit silver bulletish on paper. Like slapped onto it.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines
Last edit: 21 Jan 2019 20:08 by Kraus.

More
21 Jan 2019 20:20 #93054 by jblacey
I am not generally in favor of milling strategies, because it means less interaction... not more... and that is likely to be bad for the game. To put this in perspective... if you want to destroy someone's library... it is relatively trivial. It can be done several ways. Though I would put this deck that has this as their win condition in the same camp as someone that plays a Brainwash deck. You might have fun, but the person on the receiving end is not... and the person on the receiving end could be helpless if their answer to this card is milled out of their deck.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kraus

More
21 Jan 2019 20:38 #93055 by Mewcat
Is interactive master Which Is good. Is mill card which is bad. I don't think milling is great for a 5 player game. Maybe a different approach to milling would help but just dropping slaughter house is snoze.

More
21 Jan 2019 21:10 #93056 by DJHedgehog

The issue I have with this card is:

It's a Master card.

I want this game to be about my vampires doing stuff. Maybe if this were a Political Action, and could stack (doing only 1 pool loss if they have no deck), I would be more enthusiastic. And we already have so many powerful Master cards competing for deck-slots as it is.

A while back I suggested a Political Action that milled half of someone's library under some condition, because Political Actions should be more potent since they have to first pass blocks and then pass the vote. (And because 9/10ths of the Political Actions are too weak / unplayable.)

Cool card name, but figure out a way to make it a card requiring vampires doing stuff and using their disciplines and you'll have my vote.

A political action is a no-go based on the experience of Brinkmanship. Maybe as a master it's competing for spots, but in this deck archetype it would be worth the slots. At least you have to make choices in deckbuilding and that's what CCG's are all about.

The point of the D action was to make it something interactive, but I can see your point.

That all being said I'm not against converting it to an action. I was thinking of a mill card using Necromancy maybe it would find a home there.

I am not generally in favor of milling strategies, because it means less interaction... not more... and that is likely to be bad for the game. To put this in perspective... if you want to destroy someone's library... it is relatively trivial. It can be done several ways. Though I would put this deck that has this as their win condition in the same camp as someone that plays a Brainwash deck. You might have fun, but the person on the receiving end is not... and the person on the receiving end could be helpless if their answer to this card is milled out of their deck.

What if it took actions to mill someone? How would that be any different than a vote action, or a bleed action? Hell, I have a lot less fun being bled for 6 than anything in this game but when I say something people just say "Dominate isn't broken". If you don't like slaughterhouse that's one thing, but mill as a strategy would be slow.

If I can mill you faster than anyone can bleed there would be a problem but currently the cards don't exist to make that happen.

A lot of people don't like Mill because it makes a playstyle obsolete, or makes people discard cards they want to use. In most games, you won't see at least 33% of your deck. When you build a deck, you build it with that knowledge so you include multiple copies of cards you want. My stance is that Milling is slow and doesn't really hurt you since you'll still have minions and be playing the game.

Better than bleeds for 20% of your starting pool any day as far as I'm concerned, and that's been an option since 1994.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LivesByProxy

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds