file [Submission] Repentance

10 Feb 2019 17:04 - 10 Feb 2019 17:05 #93393 by jamesatzephyr

I can't speak for James, but IMO, that's not the issue with adding more sect-changing cards into the game. The issue is that regardless of how good* those sect-changing cards are, they're always going to be inferior to simply putting vampires of the sect you want in your crypt, because crypt draws are inherently much more predictable than library draws. James has already explained why this is the case.

Pretty much.

The vast majority of decks that start from the principle of "Well, first I'll draw this crucial card to give me a trait I don't have"(*) are subject to a lot of anguish when they don't draw it, or don't draw it early. Even with a large-ish number in your deck, you regularly won't pull them early on. When it's for a vampire(s) who's only in your deck in small numbers - say, 1-3 copies of Brujah vampires in an otherwise !Bru deck - it becomes even more bothersome. If the Sabbat-only tech is so useful, but you only draw a Brujah in some games, how many copies of the changer do you put in, and what do you do if you don't draw it?

(*) Clan Impersonation is a common one here, but the sect changers too. Also most decks trying to do weird-ass things with disciplines. Some of the sect changers can work out okay in, for example, a Tsunda / Eldest are Kholo deck, where other vampires change sect later. This works out okay enough because: a) weenies have spare actions and b) crucially, Tsunda (multiple copies, regularly draw in your opening crypt) and the weenies she creates from Tumnimos are Laibon, so the deck isn't hamstrung by a couple of turns in which other people can get out huge voters to thwart you so much.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2019 17:05 by jamesatzephyr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.047 seconds