file Errata Discipline-less cards to have Disciplines? (where applicable)

18 Feb 2019 19:18 #93531 by LivesByProxy
As said in a previous thread, and thought silently in my mind for a long time...

What if the Discipline-less cards required a Discipline? Errata is not new to VTES, some old cards especially recieved major mechanical changes, but this stems from the fact that the Discipline system in VTES is the coolest deck building 'restriction' of any card game, in my opinion.

Examples of what I want to see:

Forced Awakening
:reaction: Only usable by an unlocked minion.
Choose a ready locked minion with basic Fortitude :for:. The chosen vampire wakes. If the chosen vampire has superior Fortitude :FOR:, unlock him or her instead.

Wake With Evening's Freshness
:action: +1 stealth.
:tha: Put this card on this vampire and unlock him or her. He or she can burn this card to wake. :THA: As above, and this action may not be blocked except by vampires with Thaumaturgy.

On The Qui Vive
:reaction: Only usable by a locked vampire.
:aus: Choose a ready locked ally or younger vampire you control. That minion wakes. If that ally successfully blocks, they don't unlock as normal during the next unlock phase. :AUS: As above, if that minion is an ally, he or she unlocks as normal.

Eluding The Arms Of Morpheus
:reaction: Only usable by a locked vampire.
:obt: This vampire burns 1 blood to wake. :OBT: Once this turn, this vampire may burn 1 blood to wake during any (D) action.

Compare to Guard Dogs :ani: , Black Sunrise :qui:, and Babble :dem:.

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2019 21:30 #93540 by Kraus
It's sorta cool, but ultimately unnecessary. I would rather see new wake effects designed for disciplines than see errata for the non-discipline ones.

The point is that anyone can use them.

There's really no need for errating existing cards when you could just as well design new ones.

Say, take your :obt: card for example. Just change the name and be done with it. It's fine.

"Oh, to the Hades with the manners! He's a complete bastard, and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De-Arnise

garourimgazette.wordpress.com/
www.vekn.net/forum-guidelines
The following user(s) said Thank You: jaakkon, LivesByProxy

More
18 Feb 2019 21:52 #93541 by Timo
I really don't like the idea of changing all disciplineless wake-like in other cards requiring a discipline.

For 2 reasons :
First : if something is not broken, don't fix it !

Second : we already have a very important defensive mechanism (bounce) which is basically reserved to 2 disciplines. And so we have "vampires who can bounce" and "vampires who can't bounce". I can't see how it would be a good thing for the game to have "vampires who can wake" and "vampires who can't wake".
The following user(s) said Thank You: Khalid1988, lionel, jaakkon, LivesByProxy

More
19 Feb 2019 12:57 #93551 by Boris The Blade
Definitely not. Wakes exist since Jyhad for a very good reason: without them, games easily collapse into deadlocks where nobody can dare to take an action. You can't remove them without breaking the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Yomyael, LivesByProxy

More
19 Feb 2019 13:47 - 19 Feb 2019 13:48 #93552 by Bloodartist
And lets not forget that there are other types of minions than vampires. Allies need to have cards as well.

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 19 Feb 2019 13:48 by Bloodartist.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Khalid1988, LivesByProxy

More
19 Feb 2019 14:52 #93555 by jblacey

What if the Discipline-less cards required a Discipline? Errata is not new to VTES, some old cards especially recieved major mechanical changes, but this stems from the fact that the Discipline system in VTES is the coolest deck building 'restriction' of any card game, in my opinion.

Errata is way more painful to the game vs just designing new cards. No one likes giving cards to new players and then explaining "but this card was errata-ed". It is worse if the card was errata-ed previously or has existed for an extended period of time in it's current state and the player finds out about it for the first time when they show up to a tournament.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LivesByProxy

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds