file [Submissions] Trenchcoats and Katanas

09 Nov 2019 19:54 #97733 by LivesByProxy
Yes, these seem like very basic, obvious concepts that would have made in into the game by now.

I don't think the Trench Coat should be burned to reduce the cost of the weapon. I think I get what you have in mind, but I think it would be fine just being a permanent Concealed Weapon for melee weapons.

But if the Leather Jacket can be burned to prevent all damage, I think this should let you cheat melee weapons into play AND burn to Strike:Dodge. Cost 1 pool.

I really wish there was "special term" like Trifle for minion effects. "Trifle" would have been perfect.

:gang: :CEL: :FOR: :PRO: :cap6: Gangrel. Noddist. Camarilla. Once each turn, LivesByProxy may burn 1 blood to lose Protean :PRO: until the end of the turn and gain your choice of superior Auspex :AUS:, Obfuscate :OBF:, or Potence :POT: for the current action.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Nov 2019 21:51 #97735 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Trenchcoats and Katanas

I don't think the Trench Coat should be burned ...

Actually I think of it as a con - you can cycle additional copies later in the game this way.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
09 Nov 2019 23:00 #97736 by Boris The Blade
As an equipment, it does not solve the main problem of weapon combat: what happens if you get blocked while equipping?

Trench coat
Combat
Play before range is determined. Equip with a melee weapon from your hand paying 1 less pool for it.

More
10 Nov 2019 04:35 #97737 by Kilrauko
Replied by Kilrauko on topic Trenchcoats and Katanas

I don't think the Trench Coat should be burned to reduce the cost of the weapon. I think I get what you have in mind, but I think it would be fine just being a permanent Concealed Weapon for melee weapons.

Please pay attention to the text in the OP, it's not Concealed Weapon, it's disciplineless Disquised Weapon for melee weapons as Imbued can pull Crusader Sword without cost with it, Or any minion pulling Rowan Ring. Personally I'm still pondering if that's too much, my gut instinct is claiming there's a reason why Disquised weapon demands obf and the Trench Coat text should be changed to non-unique, making the benefit be only the reduce cost by 1 and unlock at the end. Elotar can you confirm if your design intent is for it to be melee only version of Concealed weapon (requiring a change in the op) or as disciplineless melee only version Disquised weapon as it's now written. My pondering assumes the Disquised as that's what it's effect is.

Even if blocked the deck using Trenchies is some sort of combat deck and should be able to use Concealed weapon and/or it's combat module if the action to equip Trench Coat is blocked. Difference being it's not the weapon but the Trench coat that goes to ash pile, your "damage delivery" card in hand is still intact.

I couldn't figure out any massive abuse for Katana as while first strike is powerful, it's also on melee weapon suffering against immortal grabble, myriad of combat end along with dodge and prevent. Sure quietus can turn weapon damage to aggravated or unpreventable and with first strike that's good, but still, I don't see how it would break the power balances as it can already be achieved and it's really not used.

Shopping mall is good, altho somewhat lacking in lore aspect, Unless it's 24/7 open mall as vampires do not really go out to do daytime shopping. However I do approve the inclusion of investment card cost payment mechanic and would like to see more synergy around those slow otherwise slow trickle masters. Same notice as earlier about being able to get unique things out of it applies, imagine vampire finding a Eye of Hazimel at the local mall... While it hurts the "logic" of lore, I'm not sure if the balance is that out of whack, you play Shopping mall first as thrifle in your master phase, then play the investment, that's masters. Then your minion still needs to do the actual equip. Perhaps it can be abused by Imbued getting extra +1 stealth over their usual max stealth that people are counting on to counter? I don't still see how that breaks anything as it's a location and can be targeted with various removal/steal/etc. effects. Unlike some other master cards we already have with more powerful effects. Lore shenigans can be easily countered with some flavor text or picture showing it's a ghoul that does the vampire's shopping for it or just trashing the delivery terminal at the mall during night (where the methuselah has pre-invested for the thingimabob to be received).

Trust in Jan Pieterzoon.

More
10 Nov 2019 08:05 #97739 by elotar

As an equipment, it does not solve the main problem of weapon combat: what happens if you get blocked while equipping?

Trench coat
Combat
Play before range is determined. Equip with a melee weapon from your hand paying 1 less pool for it.

This was the first idea, but as Kilrauko said than it just will trump Disguised weapon in Tariq eats and other such decks.

If it's an equipment than you have to think about delivery system for it. There are Shopping Mall as a first step, but then you have to go deck specific way - assamites/nosferatu can finally find use of stealth for their melee combat decks, there is Resist earth grasp is :cel: or actually you can play several copies of for some silver-bullet weapon (Blade of Enoch) and use it as a bluff to go crush the poor blocker with Torn Signpost ;)

Much more versatile this way.

More
10 Nov 2019 11:25 #97740 by elotar

Lore shenigans ...

I would actually say that molls were a kindred invention to get the possibility of shopping without leaving the building :lol:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds