file Tier 1 deck archetypes list

24 Apr 2012 09:15 - 24 Apr 2012 09:15 #28553 by Demnogonis Saastuttaja
I think it would be good to have a reference list of the very best tournament decks, like so many other games have, so that players can more easily check what they should expect and what's probably a good deck to play.

What I would consider as criteria for a T1 archetype would be,
1, what the really good players consider good (they wouldn't be good if they didn't know what's good)
2, consistent major tournament success in recent years (small tournaments have a small selection decks quite probably not including the strongest possible)
3, reasoning and argumentation (of course we want to think for ourselves)

Criteria, of course, is up to discussion as well, I'm just starting this topic, perhaps somebody else has better insight on what should be considered. Also some archetypes haven't been around so long that we can't really see if they do consistently at tournaments or not. No reason not to discuss them, though.

Also feel free to include other tiers if you so like.

And I wish to only include archetypes, not decklists such as there's a lot of room for tweaking in this game.

So! These are some of the deck archetypes I consider T1 in no particular order. Note that I have not played any of these but KS bleed. Also note that I'm not a major tournament regular.

Toreador multi A, it's very consistent in what it does and I don't think it's really hard countered by a lot of things due to ability to pass unblocked actions. Recursion helps make it adaptable, and the good political actions and even Anneke's special give it a good ability to influence the entire table.

The Girls deck, also a consistent performer what with the stability MMP offers. I think it's somewhat similar to the Toreador archetype so I'm not saying much about it.

Kindred Spirits decks, aggressive, quickly damaging decks that unlike most SB decks have the option to attack anybody on the table if need be, and that's why I consider it the best SB archetype.

Weenie Auspex, probably the strongest wall deck. Very hard to oust. Good ability to mess with the table.

!Ventrue grinder, another very reliable deck that has a good amount of defensive ability, not a whole lot of bad match-ups and a great lunge with dominate.

In the same fashion, I consider the pretty similar Tremere toolbox deck very solid, and it too seems to be a very popular choice these days. Magic of the Smith some of the best equipment in the game, AUS DOM defense, solid minions and Dominate offense with added Mirror Walk stealth.

So. Discuss! :)

:ANI: :AUS: :VIC:
Last edit: 24 Apr 2012 09:15 by Demnogonis Saastuttaja.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2012 09:25 #28554 by Ohlmann
Well, the main problem is that your list include extremely broad category. * will find * for example have at least 10 differents flavor, and I have seen AAA both being political deck or wallish deck.

As of I, having never seen a weenie auspex, nor a successfull kindred spirit deck, I suppose I would be way over my head to post actual archetypes :)

More
24 Apr 2012 09:28 #28555 by johannes

2, consistent major tournament success in recent years (small tournaments have a small selection decks quite probably not including the strongest possible)

I wouldn´t post this as a requirement. There are Tier-1 decks that don´t match this criteria, because of player preference and card availability. There aren´t that many major tournaments and even less finalists.

More
24 Apr 2012 09:43 #28556 by Juggernaut1981
Teflon Weenie Dominate
(Weenies with any level of dominate, GtU, Tribute to the Master, Flick... bloats harder than you'd expect and basically unbleedable)

Powerbleed mostly the Obt-DOM varieties (which includes Kiasyd and Lasombra)

AAA is a very solid stable deck.

Sha-Ennu + Will'o'Wisp Powerbleed... vulnerable to basically two things: Archon Investigation, Card Cancel (DI, DI2)

Cel-Sticks/Guns. It will leave a smoking crater of the table when it works fairly well and worse when its working brilliantly.

Weenie Animalism (see Cel-Sticks)

"The Vignes Deck"

Early Group Nos Princes (the key here is usually Nikolaus Vermeulen, but if you go G1 you get :for: to multi-act, but G3 has the skills and useful cardtexts)

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
24 Apr 2012 10:26 #28564 by Ankha
Legacy of Pander: if not handled on turn 1 or 2, can easily score GW. Especially on table where a new player doesn't know the deck.

Palla Embrace / Week of Nightmare: breed deck with a high acceleration power. Vulnerable to Ancilla Empowerment and the (relatively) new Scourge of Enochians

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
24 Apr 2012 11:13 #28570 by Pendargon
also tupdogs, nana buruku-deep song yawnfest, Neo-Lawfirms, basically anything with MPA, ashurs, villeins and golcondas,

Also : Sha-Ennu + Will'o'Wisp Powerbleed... vulnerable to basically two things: Archon Investigation, Card Cancel (DI, DI2)

never seen that one win anything ever. Could be meta thing

:QUI: :POT: :OBE: :CEL: :OBF: :tore: :assa:

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds