file Would You Support/Play a New Game based in WoD w/VTES Roots?

06 Jul 2012 12:15 #32850 by RoddimusPrime

If I would support one of the proposed alternatives it would be LCG format, but not as a new game (like netrunner LCG which is not the same netrunner and new cards can't be played with older ones) but as a continuation with different distribution format

Just so you know I am not saying this isn't a viable or bad idea. What I will say is things get complicated and if the goal were to simply continue the game as is then letting the deckmaster mechanic expire in 2014 and going from there is probably a better goal. A new system could be implemented like an LCG format.

But, as a business looking at something that makes financial sense I don't think most companies would do that. It might be more likely that it would be a new game that didn't draw on an old base of cards (i.e. Netrunner). Believe it or not many potential gamers would be offset by a CCG and more so by the deep catalog of cards. So, while again, it is a viable solution I wonder whether most interested companies would shoot for something new or simply look to satisfy the player base that exists. I have seen some posters not keen on a new Netrunner who are more attached to the old game, but I have seen far more positive reaction or at least open minds. Plus I am sure FFG will be marketing this game at conventions, etc. Who knows? Maybe it will blow up in their face, but I am certainly keeping an eye on how the new Netrunner will do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2012 12:24 - 06 Jul 2012 13:29 #32851 by Boris The Blade
I don't understand: why do you want to wait for the patent to expire to make a new game? If I am not mistaken, there were only 3 games ever produced under the Deckmaster license: Magic, Netrunner and VTES. That means pretty much all the CCGs currently in print have done well without it.
Last edit: 06 Jul 2012 13:29 by Boris The Blade.

More
06 Jul 2012 12:44 #32852 by RoddimusPrime

I don't understand: why do you want to wait for the patent to expire to make a new game? If I am not mistaken, there were only 3 games ever produced under the Deckmaster license: Magic, Netrunner and VTES. That means pretty much all the CCGS currently in print have done well without it.

Not sure if this is directed at me or not. But, I never said we have to wait for the patent to expire to make a new game. But, for anyone wishing to simply continue VTES (with it's current card base and mechanics) as opposed to a new adaptation via an LCG or something similar, then of course it is best to wait out the patent.

More
06 Jul 2012 18:00 #32861 by Cyrus
VTES as I see it is not a dead game. There are still people playing, new people coming in, and something of a competitive scene. Certainly there are no new cards, and one could argue there isn't a working central body for the game (yet, although a work in progress). There are still a lot of players though, and as KM said they've got a lot invested in the game. I see no reason to make up another card game of any sort just because there are no current plans to release new cards. I'm still hopeful. Another publisher might pick it up eventually, given the choice to either release a wholly new game or pick up a game with a decent playerbase, working rules and hopefully by then an even better VEKN to assist on the player side.

Using a LCG or CCG model for future releases is a different question altogether.

That said, some sort of board game could work, but not another card game.

More
07 Jul 2012 20:11 #32887 by ReverendRevolver
i've thought for quite some time that what kevin said initially about a new big-base set with less confusing rule wordings would be optimal for the game all around. people i've shown the game to that played vampire the masquerade get kind of confused by the sabbat clans. there are the 13 origional clans, and there are bloodlines that don't matter all that often. antitribbu clans i disliked coming into the game, as a fan of the rpg, and i'm only attached to them now because i've been playing vtes for awhile.
a base set being cam with some independent and sabbat spaced out with "essential function" cards that streamline discipline effects and simultaneously free up card slots in the set would be the goal along with simpler wordings and asthetics and mechanics that both appeal to new players (random ones) and fans of the source material.
Rodd, i like games that run well and have interesting canon behid them, but i see no reason to use the VtM stuff to make an entirely new game. in fact, the nWoD had a terrible vampire game, a backwards mage game, and an "almost good" werewolf game, but then had changeling, hunter, and promethean that were just leaps and bounds ahead of the rest of the setting and lines. using one of those could easily be grounds for a game. promethean players have to contend with influence of other players and game-state effects like disquiet or perhaps being hunted by a pandoran or a maddened centimani, the goal being not to be destroyed while questing for becoming human. a hunter game where strategy is the only way to overcome threats that out stat and possibly outnumber you, in a zombies style boardgame. even a changeling the lost game with each player vying for power, freehold rank, and not being dragged back to Arcadia in chains by their Keeper.
theres plenty of material, why bother contending with Richard Garfeild's creation in terms of background material while designing a new game?

More
08 Jul 2012 11:10 #32898 by blackday
Quick answer to the question..YES. If the system is good why shouldnt we join it

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.071 seconds