PKC seeks to attack the V:EKN
I never understood what started the whole debacle anyways, something about people not liking their designs and the design process being slow and unresponsive?
As a complete outsider, going by the information publicly available on these boards I'm guessing the following:
1) New set is announced. Opinions are asked, mixed feelings are expressed with a general lean towards "hey cool idea, as long as you do it right". Designers are appointed based on criteria that I have no know of.
2) Things kick off smoothly and a first pass of cards is made
3) The design team leader, Ben Peal, suffers from some issues in his personal sphere and is unable to communicate with VEKN for a lengthy period of time as a result
4) PCK takes up the brunt of the work while everyone else sits and waits for Ben to returns.
5) Ben Peal eventually returns and design work is being picked up by the rest of the team. Most of PCK's cards are dismissed as crap and removed from playtesting rounds (and given what they published earlier, this seems to make sense...)
6) PCK gets mad that Ben removes their cards from development and drama ensues.
7) Jeff K (the K in PCK) eventually leaves the design team, swiftly followed by Eric Chiang (the C in PCK) who also gets kicked from the IC /Storyline coordinator in the process.
8) More drama ensues.
// at this point most people, including myself, can sympathize with PCK but feels they should just move on
9) Shit settles and everyone forgets about it.
10) Johannes posts good news about VTES maybe maybe maybe seeing some printed cards again.
11) People rejoice!
12) PCK comes in to poop on the party and reveals their "expansion".
13) People treat their "expansion" as just another thread filled with card ideas.
14) People say that this is not a good idea and the copyright crap is both stupid and not even remotely legal either.
15) People express their generic disinterest and mostly tell them most of the cards are bad and that some might be useful given proper tweaking.
16) PCK, sensing lack of support from the community, gets annoyed and looks to exact revenge on VEKN by invoking their copyright in the stupendous mail in the initial post.
17) More drama ensues.
Now, I don't think it's very gentlemen-like from the chairman to actually post this mail in public, but it does shine a new light on the situation.
Still, all very unfortunate.
Robba Yaga wrote: If the new card set gets released and PKC gets lawyers involved, I guess we'll find out who actually has a legitimate claim to intellectual property rights. Might give some insight as to the rest of the disagreement as well.
Judges are not psychics. They will try to ascertain this by comparing the Dance Macabre set and the Guardian of Faith set.
It mean that some people that don't have any idea about how the game work and how it is related to the RPG will have to decide.
It is extremely likely that who look the more honest will be more important than anything else, simply because it is far too technical for such a nonimportant issue.
On another note, I suppose that print on demand for VtES will never happen. Thank, Jeff and co. You just finished VtES.
First he decided to show up every week to play cards, then he ousted me, and then he even had the nerve to try and suggest how I could build my deck better to improve my game. Can you believe the gall of this guy? He even trades cards time and again, although I'm sure he's merely planning to rip us off and destroy our local group. What ego this guy has! He's such a disruptive and destructive influence that he offered to carpool down to the last tournament where he proceeded to oust me, again. I'm so outraged that these upstarts have taken it upon themselves to not only try and support the game, but then play better than I! Now, some might call it an extreme move, but I'm grateful I played sudden reversal cross-table on Jeff's Unnamed oh those tournaments ago. My only regret is that I couldn't do it again!
Now, the VEKN must take immediate action against these interlopers and their attempts to participate in the design process of new sets. How dare they not submit to their total dismissal by the secretive cabal of the design team? How dare they not willingly accept the wholesale dismissal of their work in favor of the ever so wonderful Danse Macabre set - which I'm sure we all greatly look forward to in all its balanced glory - without having their grievances addressed? How dare they, these tournament supporting, storyline writing, card designing interlopers, how dare they attempt to distance to have what remains of their work removed from this new set unless used with attribution? They seek nothing more than the complete destruction of this holy game and all its glories. Fie on you all PKC! May your bleeds be deflected and your votes be delayed!
Long live the inner circle in its infinite wisdom! I daily praise the gods for allowing me to bask in the wisdom of their machinations in occultu.
Now chant with me: Kuta delenda est! Kuta delenda est!
Baron of Berkeley
Count Orlok wrote: Long live the inner circle in its infinite wisdom! I daily praise the gods for allowing me to bask in the wisdom of their machinations in occultu.
I have serious grief against Johannes, because they were more rude than acceptable at the start of this mess.
Still, they don't have started a legal war that mean any firm that want to actually make money ill stay the fuck away from this mess. For a long time.
So, PCK may be right to try to have their wrong corrected, but they are still fucking retarded to not see that they are sinking any hope for a revival for the sake of petty disputes. I will actually reverse what I have said to Johannes : what have VEKN done to you, PCK ? Do they have hired goons to piss on your book collection ? Do they have sent you the jead of your favorite horse ?
"I like to think there always are ...possibilities." Spock