file 2 player variant.

20 Jun 2013 11:30 #50096 by Baaliprimogen
Replied by Baaliprimogen on topic Re: 2 player variant.

*60 card limit/4 copies limit

Don't go there.

I know your potential player base is used to that deck-building strategy, but if you start them off on this path, you may never have a chance to integrate them into the wider V:TES world.

Really? It kinda would be me who makes the decks, so a 4 card rule would only be away for me to not super focus the decks on the first games. Make the players feel the different ways of playing VTES. It's not like I would make a Malk94 deck for them...

:DAI: :MAL: :STR:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2013 11:36 #50097 by Baaliprimogen
Replied by Baaliprimogen on topic Re: 2 player variant.
It was maybe stupid of me to call this a Variant. 'cos I don't want it to be a variant but more a nice introduction to Vtes, one on one.

PS: I have played Melbourne Fight Club (we had a tournament i Oslo) and that was super fun. And I recommend everyone to try it. But is't more like another game. That's not what I'm after...

:DAI: :MAL: :STR:

More
20 Jun 2013 14:03 #50114 by Jeff Kuta
Replied by Jeff Kuta on topic Re: 2 player variant.

*60 card limit/4 copies limit

Don't go there.

Really? It kinda would be me who makes the decks, so a 4 card rule would only be away for me to not super focus the decks on the first games. Make the players feel the different ways of playing VTES. It's not like I would make a Malk94 deck for them...

A Malk94 deck might be just the thing the new players *should* see. Brujah rush. Gangrel aggro-poke. Nosferatu royalty. Toreador guns. Tremere toolbox. Ventrue law firm. I would make several single-clan decks that show off the strengths and weaknesses of their archetypal and fundamental paths to victory.

If you want to artificially impose card limits on yourself to balance the decks, a 60 card limit is fine, but only to minimize randomness. I'd go with 8CL if you want a hard number for individual cards. Not only will the decks be more focused and fun to play, it will be easier for the new players to remember the cards because there will be fewer different cards in each deck. Instead of having 4 copies of 15 different cards, you may end up with an average of 6 copies of 10 different cards.

The only caveat I would say though is make sure that the cards in higher multiples are *action* cards for the most part. Make sure each deck can oust and not just hope to get into combat. Good luck!

When you are anvil, be patient; when a hammer, strike.
:CEL::DOM::OBF::POT::QUI:
pckvtes.wordpress.com
@pckvtes
The following user(s) said Thank You: Baaliprimogen

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds