file The Full Bleed project - back on my bullshit [03.20]

07 Oct 2014 21:05 #66181 by Drizmo
It can look amazing, but that's because the test is made with John Van Flet's art. Van Flet style is really graphic and with great backgrounds, that's why it looks so good. With other art works it wont be the same. Almost all cards have plain, gradient or texture background, and that styles wont work in the same way that ornamental ones.

Just test it, you will find cards with great look and others with poor one.

Another drawback is that you lose the identity of the clans and the unity between the cards. Vtes have a lot of good artists but with different styles. If you remove the common element from the cards you lose the unity between them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2014 21:22 #66182 by self biased

It can look amazing, but that's because the test is made with John Van Flet's art. Van Flet style is really graphic and with great backgrounds, that's why it looks so good. With other art works it wont be the same. Almost all cards have plain, gradient or texture background, and that styles wont work in the same way that ornamental ones.

Another drawback is that you lose the identity of the clans and the unity between the cards. Vtes have a lot of good artists but with different styles. If you remove the common element from the cards you lose the unity between them.

yeah, not all vampires are going to look great as a full bleed card, and there's a good reason that i used Van Fleet's artwork. i tried my damnedest to find another Sabbat vampire to use, but i couldn't find anything that was even remotely usable.

More
08 Oct 2014 03:50 - 08 Oct 2014 03:53 #66186 by Jussi

yeah, not all vampires are going to look great as a full bleed card, and there's a good reason that i used Van Fleet's artwork. i tried my damnedest to find another Sabbat vampire to use, but i couldn't find anything that was even remotely usable.

I agree, though there are some artists that I think that may suit your purposes: Timothy Bradstreet comes to mind, another is Lawrence Snelly. Both seem to have eye for a background, which seems quite fundamental for a good full-bleed cards.

I went through new set, and I think that there are many pictures that could be used to experiment how good or bad full-bleed layout looks. I'd choose some that have strong details in the background and some who do not have much background details.

One thing needs to be considered as well. Since background of an art piece is very important, they may need some... tweaking if I may say. That may be an issue. I don't know since I have little knowledge about legal or copyright agreements.

Other trick is to figure out a set of nice graphical patterns, which may be used to enhance the effect. This is similar to current layout form, but it would not frame the whole art piece. Van Fleet has drawn/painted Isabella to have that kind of enhancement (on top of the picture there is an arch).

But yea, not all pics suit for full-bleed while others do. There are means to get not-that-well-suited art pieces to work in full-bleed design.

!bruj! :CEL: :POT: :PRE: :cap6:
----
Banging trashcans, breaking windows
We'll wake you up tonight

We like the good time, we scream and shout
And that's what fun's about
Last edit: 08 Oct 2014 03:53 by Jussi.

More
08 Oct 2014 05:00 #66187 by johannes

Ben,

is it possible to allow these cards on official torunament and for fun games? I would find amusing to play with a sick crypt layout like this on a tournament.

anything goes in fun games ...
The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased, Rémi

More
09 Oct 2014 22:58 #66302 by self biased
I received several images from Ben today, and began working on some new prototypes. i did figure out a way to get some of the current backgrounds worked in (though the Giovanni and Followers of Set were basically unusable). so... thoughts? backbiting? movie reviews?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, BenPeal, Jussi, Erol, Lech, Rémi, Pascek

More
09 Oct 2014 23:20 #66303 by BenPeal
They look great! We'd need to get the artists to fix up some of the portrait ovals that are clipping into the corners.
The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased, Rémi

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds