file Redesigned V:TES cards in the house of Bad Ideas.

14 Nov 2014 09:22 #67406 by jhattara

I put the green bar back in, but shortened it significantly. more to come later....

Looks good but the red and blue dots are very ambiguous.

:splat: Jussi Hattara :splat:
:vtes: Webmaster Extraordinaire :vtes:
Finnish :POT: Politics!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2014 12:18 #67411 by ReverendRevolver
Labeling the life, bleed, strength, stealth, and intercept would be optimal. Itd look neat putting the word in black ON the 2 in this case, but since 3's arent doable in this fashion (but 1, 2,4,5,7 are...) its not optimal, I guess. Maybe redesign the circle thing to include lables at the bottom.
Beyond that, still cant decide if I like the action and ally symbols where they are. Like the art being big though

More
15 Nov 2014 10:57 #67428 by Juggernaut1981
This is starting to look like a horse designed by a committee... A camel.

I don't mind the 'top and cardtype bar' format, but I didn't think it really felt VTES (felt more like a SciFi CCG). The full-bleed idea that has been tossed around for crypt cards looked good (and either a setup with discipline column or discipline row).

For the Library cards, the design is looking messier and messier.
Like it or lump it, VTES players are used to looking for requirements on the mid-left, card type on the top-left and there haven't been symbols used for life, bleed and strength yet (and if some were used, those coloured dots aren't distinctive enough from capacity to be useful). The Library card tests aren't looking great.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
15 Nov 2014 13:48 #67430 by self biased
@juggernaut: yeah, i'm beginning to agree with you about the library cards. there might be a way to make it work, but if there is, it's probably outside of my skill level. I have a hard time actually generating anything from scratch. I might be able to find some wrought-iron shenanniganery somewhere out there though. Staatet might also have been a poor choice for showcasing what a redesigned ally could look like.

@Rev: I'm not sure that adding stealth/intercept icons is the way to go as a general rule, the vast majority of minions have neither stock intercept nor stealth. every ally has life, most everything else has strength or bleed. I would be in favor to adding things like +bleed/stealth/intercept/infernal and stuff like that to the bolded part of the cardtext, rather than tacking it on at the end.

the green bar is super annoying, though, because it keeps us from making the art box bigger.

I have a few more ideas to try, though. I did scope out some of the other CCGs that people said the designs remind them of, and i don't really see it myself. the fact that it does for others means that it's there. It'll take me a few weeks before i can find the time to come back to this.

More
15 Nov 2014 21:28 #67436 by Juggernaut1981
It's not just the Saatet Ta part. It really is about the layout. The style of the top-and-bottom border makes me think it should be for Babylon 5 cards, or Trek:TNG cards or similar. There is something 'lost'.
I'd especially suggest returning to some of the core layout of a VTES card: key-symbols on the left. Requirements, cost and card type for starters. A horizontal bar without the curve top and bottom might help return the format a little. For vampires, I think it is important to put the clan logo on the right under the vampire's name. Disciplines could easily be run up the left side as they did from CE onwards. I might try mock-up something to express the idea a bit more.

For the Life image, I'd try using something like a 'stick figure' or a 'toilet door man', maybe a 'heart'.

http://images.clipartpanda.com/elector-clipart-7TaERG7TA.svg

Strength just use a 'black fist with a white border' like the potence logo.

Maybe an explosion for bleed or a dagger?

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
15 Nov 2014 23:20 #67441 by self biased
none of those are showing up for me.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds