file How to get started as a new player?

25 Jun 2015 07:36 #71850 by porphyrion
Perhaps also do a search on 'Reasonably priced decks' + Ralf Lammert in Secret Library-
www.secretlibrary.info/?deck=list&sort=title&page=167

Low-price decks, tried and tested. Decent starting points.

Unless you get into tournaments, just play with proxies for the $$$-cards and start building from there. If you get lucky, buy a complete collection from a retired vtes-player. In the UK there is also House Atreides Cards, long-time sellers of individual cards (ok prices for some of the Crypt-cards and commons though they do not refill their stock as they used to).

Find your local players first, some might be able to help you out through a shared card-pool or a gift of cards.

Perhaps, hold off the Bloodlines/Laibon/Heirs to the Blood at first, and focus either on the Sabbat expansions such as Sabbat, Sabbat wars, & Third Edition OR on the Camarilla-clans. Third edition is the best starting point right now since it is still reasonably priced for both boosters and starters.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2015 11:56 - 25 Jun 2015 12:44 #71853 by king_mob
Thank you all so much for the response!! Really happy to find out that vtes still has a vibrant and helpful community :)

Ill answer invidiually if thats ok seeing as you all took the time to respond to my question.

V:TES relies on having a lot of very basic (common) cards to get rolling with. Things like stealth, intercept, wakes, etc. And then a few really good cards are inserted after.

Thats really good to know! I admit i was worried i was going to be outpaced at first until i had built up a really sizable collection.

This is the site I use to buy individual cards:

stores.ebay.com/Ricks-Jyhad-and-VTES-Card-Shop

Thanks for the link!

Another great way to discover what cards you want for a deck is to start playing V:tes online through Lackey.

Thanks ill definitely give that a shot. Be nice to get to grips with some of the popular archetypes as well before trying out my own decks.

Take a look at Rose Tatu Productions (link on the left). I think that one of their play group support kits (www.sites.google.com/site/rosetatuproductions/home/playgroup-support-kits-1) would be a good way to get off the ground.

Thanks a lot!!! This is great, it gave me a link to the european store which is ideal as im in the UK, thanks again!!

The best way to acquire a collection is to buy one from a retired player. You will get a much better deal per card, get all of the staples and hopefully save on shipping.

If you know anyone doing that let me know! Im on the prowl on ebay a lot for just this.

You need to get two !malkavian 3rd edition starters to start playing.

It's fast, cheap and easy to accomplish.

Than you can follow other very usefull but more time and money consuming advices in this thread.

Thanks, whats the deck in particular you can build from 2x malk antitribu starters? Just the precon deck itself?

Hi and welcome!

You should send an email to your local Prince (if you have one in your area) or your National Coordinator (you DO have one).
They can inform you better if there's some deals around you (if someone is selling, if there's any store supporting the game, etc..)

Besides that get a few pre con decks, join the local group to see what decks they use and come here often.

Thanks a lot, ill do that, is there a directory listing of NC's on the site anywhere?

Thanks again every one for your answers!!

A few more general purchasing questions, i'm quite liking the sabbat thematically, would you say it would be worth it to grab some starters from sabbat war or just stick to 3rd ed as its a cheaper cost of entry to the game? I guess what im asking is how much of the early game has been reprinted throughout the other sets, can most common cards be picked up generally from any edition and then specific singles from each set be bought separately? (Sorry for asking this again, i think this has been answered by CalibanX but i just wanted to be specific, there are a LOT of cards and im finding it dizzying to take them all in at the minute :)

Also, is there any utility on picking up an sealed booster box (30+ boosters or so) off ebay or the walch & nusser estore (the european distributer of the tournament support kits)? As they dont seem that expensive and it looks like it would give me a lot of cards to start building with.

For instance, a lords of the night booster box goes for around $100 on ebay it seems. I havent contacted W&N to see if they have it in stock but a black hand booster box looks like its going for £50, which is well within reach.

Edit: Also, this may be a silly question, but is there a resource listing which sets are legal for competitive play? As iv found a few sources selling Jyhad cards for quite cheap, but would they be playable in a vtes tournament? Im guessing the answer is no.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2015 12:44 by king_mob.

More
25 Jun 2015 12:58 #71856 by self biased

Edit: Also, this may be a silly question, but is there a resource listing which sets are legal for competitive play? As iv found a few sources selling Jyhad cards for quite cheap, but would they be playable in a vtes tournament? Im guessing the answer is no.

for the most part, if it's not on the banned list , you're golden. Be sure to check www.secretlibrary.info/ to make sure you're using the most up-to-date card text, as many of those jyhad era cards were rife with misprints and have since been errata'd.

More
25 Jun 2015 19:37 #71866 by Brum

Hi and welcome!

You should send an email to your local Prince (if you have one in your area) or your National Coordinator (you DO have one).
They can inform you better if there's some deals around you (if someone is selling, if there's any store supporting the game, etc..)

Besides that get a few pre con decks, join the local group to see what decks they use and come here often.

Thanks a lot, ill do that, is there a directory listing of NC's on the site anywhere?

Left hand Menu is your friend.
Take some time to surf it. There's lots of good links there.
Prince List with filters.

National Coordinator List.

Keep coming back.

More
26 Jun 2015 06:10 - 26 Jun 2015 06:13 #71870 by jamesatzephyr

Almost everything is legal for competitive play, aside from a small list of banned cards. V:TES doesn't have set rotation like Magic.

However, V:TES does have the grouping rule. Every crypt card(*) is allocated to one group, between 1 and 6. Roughly speaking, cards in the oldest sets are in group 1 - every vampire in the Jyhad box is in group one - and we move into higher groups in later sets. When constructing a crypt, you have to use crypt cards from two consecutive groups - or just one group is fine too. This means that, for example, if you buy a box of Jyhad and some Lords of the Night cards, you'll have lots of vampires from group 1 (Jyhad) and some vampires from groups 4 and 5 (LotN), and group 1 can mix only with group 2 in legal competitive decks. So putting together a crypt for legal competitive play won't be as slick as it might be if you had more vampires from 'compatible' groups.

That's not to say buying a cheap box of Jyhad would be a total waste. It has a lot of very good library cards, which would be handy for a whole variety of decks. However, a number of cards have been changed over the years - Majesty costs a blood, Fame works very differently, Conditioning/Threats/Bonding prohibit all other bleed modifiers being played while in Jyhad they only prevent each other (there were only those three in Jyhad!) etc. - so you may need to check the most recent card text.

(*) There are one or two special cards in "any" group. But they're special cards played for specific reasons, and the rest of the deck has to meet the normal rules.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2015 06:13 by jamesatzephyr.

More
29 Jun 2015 12:30 #71891 by king_mob
Sorry for the delay in replying, thanks again to everyone who gave input :)

Left hand Menu is your friend.

My apologies i clearly didnt take enough time to look for those pages, thanks a lot!

#

However, V:TES does have the grouping rule....a number of cards have been changed over the years

Thanks a lot i didnt know that, that really helps target my purchases, thanks again!

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.101 seconds