file Vampire reboot more likely than new sets?

13 Nov 2015 07:52 #74246 by Juggernaut1981

to me it sounds like more complicated version instead of streamlined. Has it 2-player variant?

Read it or just pontificating?

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2015 07:54 #74247 by Juggernaut1981

And please no reboot... stop talking about it... A reboot with simpler rules is a NEW GAME.
I don't mind a new game, but it's a waste to make a weaker version of VTES.
If paradox makes a new WoD card game, go all out, include all elements: (werewolf, vampires, mages, wraiths, mummies) with simple rules and lots of intrigue. Just don't aim for a VTES lite...

Probably is... and that may be what gets a VTES-like game in print.

More
13 Nov 2015 08:25 #74248 by alek

to me it sounds like more complicated version instead of streamlined. Has it 2-player variant?

Read it or just pontificating?

Didn't read your rules but read your changes summary and it seems more complicated than vtes currently is (f.e. more levels of disciplines). Also couldn't find answers for current vtes issues that it would solve (like no 2-player variant)

More
13 Nov 2015 08:27 #74249 by alek
Only things I would change are:
- Ditch research area
- Ditch aye/orun or tokenize it (no more cards representing aye/orun but counters)
- Fix card wording on trouble cards
- a.) 1 health system for vampires/imbued/allies no distinction between blood/life
- b.) Ditch imbueds alltogether...
- Fix Dominate by adding a bit more power to other disciplines., maybe not deflection/bleed type cards but alternatives, be creative.

The VTES game system is not hard, it's a bit more complex than MtG and needs no changing.
Complexity is added through cards, most complexity complaints are mostly about how cards interact with the rules. When/if VTES ever sees a reprint, more care should be taken to see if cards add more unneeded complexity to the game as should've been done with the Imbued and Laibon sets (and KMW to an extend, ie. redlist).

Even though it was not bad with Anarchs, designers need to prevent adding rules to the rulebook to support a set. Added complexity should be limited and only done through cards as the cards are an extension to the rules and provide at hand clarification. Anarchs rule addition was an exception, not the rule as following sets proved.

VTES needs to be pruned of obsolete useless rules and complexity added by sets, not changed.
Go back to basics, which was the success factor of VTES.

More
13 Nov 2015 08:33 - 13 Nov 2015 08:37 #74250 by alek

Only things I would change are:
- Ditch research area
- Ditch aye/orun or tokenize it (no more cards representing aye/orun but counters)
- Fix card wording on trouble cards
- a.) 1 health system for vampires/imbued/allies no distinction between blood/life
- b.) Ditch imbueds alltogether...
- Fix Dominate by adding a bit more power to other disciplines., maybe not deflection/bleed type cards but alternatives, be creative.

The VTES game system is not hard, it's a bit more complex than MtG and needs no changing.
Complexity is added through cards, most complexity complaints are mostly about how cards interact with the rules. When/if VTES ever sees a reprint, more care should be taken to see if cards add more unneeded complexity to the game as should've been done with the Imbued and Laibon sets (and KMW to an extend, ie. redlist).

Even though it was not bad with Anarchs, designers need to prevent adding rules to the rulebook to support a set. Added complexity should be limited and only done through cards as the cards are an extension to the rules and provide at hand clarification. Anarchs rule addition was an exception, not the rule as following sets proved.

VTES needs to be pruned of obsolete useless rules and complexity added by sets, not changed.
Go back to basics, which was the success factor of VTES.

90% agree. This 10% is my feelings toward anarchs. While I like playing them and generally enjoy their mechanics I think it's example of bad design decision. It needlessly added a lot of complication. It would be much better if it follows earlier mechanics, which means no 3-way, just some cards require you to be an anarch. Exacly the same way like in case of sabbat/ camarilla, etc. I would also remove some other niche mechanics like slave, cold iron, etc.
Last edit: 13 Nov 2015 08:37 by alek.

More
13 Nov 2015 10:36 #74252 by Juggernaut1981

Didn't read your rules but read your changes summary and it seems more complicated than vtes currently is (f.e. more levels of disciplines). Also couldn't find answers for current vtes issues that it would solve (like no 2-player variant)

So how about you stop talking out your ear about it and read it then.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds