file How I would re-launch V:TES. (audience participation is encouraged)

03 Mar 2016 15:00 #75696 by elotar
When two players are contesting star vampires/important cards, we are not only screwing game for them (which is not so good either, cause it happens not only with Lutz, but also with, i don't know - Bakr, if two players on the table desided to be "creative"), but also for other three players, cause somebody will be playing without predator, somebody will got undeserved VP and pool and somebody will got crippled cross-table buddies.

For a game of 2+ hours such effect of some random draw at the beginning of the game is terrible.

Degenerated strategies like pooting aranthebes into weenie deck to contest, or pentex or smth like it are olso kinda not so fun.

Idea of paying pool for contest but not loosing the ability to use contested cards looks kind of good.

But in general I think we'll have as much opinions as we have active members, so this discussion is not very meaningful.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2016 21:58 #75704 by self biased
i don't really understand the hate for contest rules. in the last fifteen games i've played, i've seen exactly one contest of a library card, and I can't say that I have a memory where I've seen vampires contest. Does it really come up that often? if it does, what's your local meta like?

Sometimes, you get Rochambeau'd by table seating; your prey has a deck that is perfectly designed to handle everything that you can throw at it.

More
03 Mar 2016 23:09 #75707 by brettscho
I agree that Vampire contests almost never happen, but that doesn't mean we should allow a rule that ruins games in the rare cases that it does. Imagine a rule that at the beginning of every game, each player had to roll a 1000 sided die, and if it come up 1, you weren't allowed to play the game, but you were forced to sit there for 2 hours. That is an extreme example, but if that rule is bad, why is the vampire contest rule ok?

Also, this will become of greater concern if the relaunch of the game is not completely compatible with the current game. If we start with a Jyhad sized set, I'd expect to see many more contests of vampires.

Personally, I would advocate to leave contests in, but (as I mentioned before) simply have it blank out the rules box of that vampire - no special rule, no titles, no downsides. The box is treated as empty. But once somebody stops paying 1 pool per turn, the other vampire regains their text (either instantly or during their untap phase). That allows you to still check the power of vampires like Anson without totally screwing over the contesting players.

Check out my VTES blog: Gaming with BS

I also host a google doc which separates the TWDA into clans . That means I track how often clans win, which crypt groups get used, and how many people attend events. You can access all of that info here:

More
04 Mar 2016 01:58 - 04 Mar 2016 02:19 #75709 by Ke.
I like the random element caused by contestations. It causes you to adapt.

If another player brings out a vampire that you were about to bring out, you can use that to your advantage by contesting the vampire at a more strategic point. Yes, it may cost you pool in terms of defence, and pace in terms of influence — however I've seen it used to great effect mid game.

It's a mechanic that rewards diversity and also increases diversity in terms of game play.
Last edit: 04 Mar 2016 02:19 by Ke.. Reason: Typos!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Juggernaut1981

More
04 Mar 2016 09:29 - 04 Mar 2016 13:35 #75712 by elotar

Imagine a rule that at the beginning of every game, each player had to roll a 1000 sided die, and if it come up 1, you weren't allowed to play the game, but you were forced to sit there for 2 hours.

This analogy is very good.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:
Last edit: 04 Mar 2016 13:35 by elotar.

More
04 Mar 2016 12:54 - 04 Mar 2016 12:57 #75741 by Ankha

2) text should displayed differently. The bold / non bold usage for superior / inferior effects is a legacy of Jyhad. Text box should be simply be split by horizontal lines between effects. Bold would be reserved for requirements for instance

I was thinking about something like this (full bleed layout courtesy to self biaised):

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director
Last edit: 04 Mar 2016 12:57 by Ankha.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.102 seconds