lightbulb Library card redesign

04 Sep 2016 20:58 - 04 Sep 2016 20:59 #78138 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Library card redesign

How about moving the art credit above the card text, e.g. in the lower corner of the art itself? It seems to me that the footnote wastes too much space that would be better used by text.

The space gained by moving the artist name would be very small anyway, and you must write the legal stuff somewhere.

Yes, also it allows for the silver dot on most sleeves and it just feels better when holding the card (thumb overflow). I did try a few early versions leveraging this space; didn't quite work.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2016 20:59 by Ke..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Sep 2016 08:15 #78140 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Library card redesign
It might just be me, but the last several combat cards look unpleasantly bright red. This is possibly not helped by:

- Basilisk's Touch having a reasonable amount of red in the picture too
- a difference between RGB (on screen) and what CMYK print-outs would look like.

But I find the current combat card red is more muted, and less "OMG MY EYES MY EYES".

Also, a splash of bright red is currently used at the top of Event cards - which also gets more muted further down, mostly.

More
05 Sep 2016 08:33 - 05 Sep 2016 08:53 #78141 by Ke.

A difference between RGB (on screen) and what CMYK print-outs would look like.

With the cards on amaranth.vtes.co.nz this is the case — they are optimised for print. So on screen they appear extreme; but when printed are balanced.

Also, events are now more magenta than red to differentiate with combat cards. Again these look quite garish on the site / screen; but are balanced when printed.

Last edit: 05 Sep 2016 08:53 by Ke..

More
07 Sep 2016 06:14 #78163 by jamesatzephyr
Replied by jamesatzephyr on topic Library card redesign

Also, events are now more magenta than red to differentiate with combat cards.

I must confess, I'm not sure why when we do have a specific and obvious colour palette for certain card types - the duller, clay red for combat, the splash of brighter red for events - it's not considered desirable to maintain those for continuity. Why move combat to bright red (a colour which was already in use), and events to hot pink? In a deck using a mix of physical cards and print-outs, it seems like it's going to make a big mess.

More
07 Sep 2016 06:48 - 07 Sep 2016 08:40 #78166 by Ke.

Why move combat to bright red (a colour which was already in use), and events to hot pink? In a deck using a mix of physical cards and print-outs, it seems like it's going to make a big mess.

It's not a bright red when printed; it's a dark red. A similar shift occurs with events also. It's important from a usability perspective that cards a distinguishable from one and another — yes, colour should not be solely depended upon but it helps.

Ankha covers some of the reasons well here:

ankhavtes.blogspot.co.nz/2016/07/redesigning-vtes-card-form.html

Here's the full colour range (extremeness due to print optimisation):

I would not recommend part printing the new cards — print entire decks with them. The deck looks much better and it's actually faster than building a deck from scratch with actual cards.

You can print old cards using Amaranth; just click "Print Some" and check old cards — I would recommend this if you just want a couple of proxies for an existing deck or already have most of the cards ready.

Last edit: 07 Sep 2016 08:40 by Ke.. Reason: typos

More
08 Sep 2016 06:50 #78178 by Ke.
Here are the best results of exploring fixed size "landscape" options:

These sit in between Alt 1 & 2 in the graphic here:

The "Overlay" version is designed to be more modern; where as the "Framed" version is more traditional CCG / VTES. Here are a few more of the extreme cards in this format:

Currently these are just mock ups. Whether they're applied or not depends on feedback / peoples thoughts on them. I haven't yet had a chance to print them as I'm out of ink — will do so tomorrow though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lech

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds