lightbulb Library card redesign

26 Jul 2016 05:50 - 26 Jul 2016 05:52 #77541 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Library card redesign

Colouring the Disciplines is a bridge too far in my mind. But the double-bar seems to convey the information quickly.

Yes, I agree. I think that they would be better plain black.

All in all I don't think it's worth investing too much time in such corner case cards.

The dual colour bar is probably the best solution so far.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2016 05:52 by Ke..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2016 06:00 - 26 Jul 2016 06:03 #77542 by ShanDow
Replied by ShanDow on topic Library card redesign

With the card type icons there are no symbols to match — unlike discipline and clan icons that are matched to other cards.

We had a new player a couple of weeks ago and the main thing he struggled with was card type — it's a common issue. Having it in plain text means there isn't another set of icons to learn (some are slightly different, action vs action modifier wtf). Players now only need to focus on matching the discipline icons to vampires.

I agree with this statement - was trying to teach someone to play and they had a hard time remembering which icon meant what type of card.

To say - you can only play 'combat' cards now and see the words would be super easy to explain to people.
Last edit: 26 Jul 2016 06:03 by ShanDow. Reason: quote

More
26 Jul 2016 06:01 #77543 by Juggernaut1981
Actually, right there. I didn't like the Discipline Colouring, so I was looking for a way around that. And colour is a great way to signify card type simply and quickly.
Action = Blue
Combat = Red
Modifier = Dull gold
Political = Orange-Gold
Master = Green
Reaction = Dark Blue
Event = Dark Red

So... with that in mind:

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
26 Jul 2016 06:03 #77544 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Library card redesign

I also think that the sidebars could be made look prettier and cooler (with some subtle designs and such).

I agree, they could be improved — however I think it's very important that they are not too busy and too distracting.

The word I used was "subtle"... ;)

Finnish :POT: Politics!

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
26 Jul 2016 06:03 #77545 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic To print!

Here you go:

While I like the card type symbols, once you get over the lack of them (replaced by text and colored sidebar) the new design is actually probably better.

That being said I do think that the opaque sidebar colors look BUTT UGLY and need some subtle shading/texture and such. Then again Self-biased's example here is way too in your face / loud.

Ke's text bars are better proportioned and look way neater, but I do like the idea of very opaque color on the background signifying the card type on Self-biased's version. Although these probably could be made slightly even more transparent.

Also how the text is laid out works better in Ke's version (the larger discipline symbols work better too).

Clarifying requirements in the black field /=text) is a good idea so here I'm again with Ke.

Card name placement works better on Self-biased's version.

WHile I'm all for big pics, I do think that Ke's version is looks crisper and does better job of presenting the game info (=text) than Self-biased's. Even if that means that the pic is smaller 8perhaps around the size it actually currently is?)

The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased, Ke.

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
More
26 Jul 2016 06:16 #77546 by Lönkka
Replied by Lönkka on topic Library card redesign

Ke,
I saw your simplification and noticed something that bothered me. The 'blend colour-to-colour' for the dual-type cards. I figured, if we're going for super-bold direct graphical information, then why do that? Why not make it a dual-bar?

For the love of Cain -NOOOOOOOOOOO!

The blending actually looks better than Ke's plain opaque colors.

Juggs, your example looks just plain ol' horrendous. (sorry for the bluntness, mate!).

Also. continuing being blunt, adding the colored stripes to the sides of the textboxes also looks so very ugly and confusing. Self-biased already gave better solution to this, which is the very transparent background color of the text boxes.

But like just said in my previous reply, actually the colored sidebar with the card type text works better than the old style symbols. I also like Ke's reasoning of removing the card type symbols to lessen the number of confusing symbols (especially for the newbies who must already struggle enough with all the discipline and clan symbols). Besides, why keep redundant info on the card which already are starved for space when you can actually convey the same info in more elegantly?

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds