lightbulb Library card redesign

29 Jul 2016 10:39 - 29 Jul 2016 10:45 #77640 by Juggernaut1981

Yes, I tried having "Combat: Effect text" etc on Force of Personality and it was quite effective. I think it's better than showing 2x icons (discipline + context) as new users won't be familiar with a :combat: icon as combat cards now only have COMBAT in text. Using text again here is consistent with the card type.

The difficulty was laying it out in a manner that did not look shit.

Maybe another way is to make it a 'loud' watermark or embossing.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418
Attachments:
Last edit: 29 Jul 2016 10:45 by Juggernaut1981.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jul 2016 11:39 - 29 Jul 2016 11:52 #77642 by 666Raziel
Replied by 666Raziel on topic Library card redesign

I see three pitfalls:
  1. the cardtext with or without the card type must look the same (no extra line)
  2. the cardtext with 2 card types or more must look good.
  3. the cardtext with 2 card types and 2 disciplines must look good (Quicksilver Contemplation)
I'm slightly in favor of the icons as multi-disciplines, multi-type cards could be seen as "advanced" cards, and it looks neater.

Unless I'm proven otherwise of course. It would be great to see Quicksilver Contemplation with
  • [tem] [REACTION] on one line
  • [aus][tem] [ACTION MODIFIER][REACTION] on two lines (a 2x2 square)
  • [AUS][TEM] [ACTION MODIFIER] on one or two lines
and the same thing with text.

Now that we don't need bold text to separate each discipline's level, we could use that to notify the card type.

So, like Govern :DOM: effect starts with "+1 stealth action", every text could start with the card type in bold. In a way, that would be consistent with the prerequisite. Force of Personnality :PRE: effect would start like that : "Modifier. Only usable as the action is announced."
Last edit: 29 Jul 2016 11:52 by 666Raziel.

More
29 Jul 2016 12:52 #77649 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Library card redesign

Yes, I tried having "Combat: Effect text" etc on Force of Personality and it was quite effective. I think it's better than showing 2x icons (discipline + context) as new users won't be familiar with a :combat: icon as combat cards now only have COMBAT in text. Using text again here is consistent with the card type.

The difficulty was laying it out in a manner that did not look shit.

Maybe another way is to make it a 'loud' watermark or embossing.

that looks like a step backward to me. I still like the icons best for this job.

More
29 Jul 2016 13:09 #77650 by Juggernaut1981

I still like the icons best for this job.

Then you are going nowhere. If the icon is at fault for confusion, using it anywhere leave the confusion. If you're going to remove it for 'simplicity' then remove it everywhere.

:bruj::CEL::POT::PRE::tha: Baron of Sydney, Australia, 418

More
30 Jul 2016 09:06 #77660 by elotar
Replied by elotar on topic Library card redesign
You can use different borders of the text blocks to distinguish card types. Like solid for actions, puncture for modifiers, zigzag for combat ets.

You can add word description of type ("action) into border frame or near it vertically or somehow.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
31 Jul 2016 16:32 - 31 Jul 2016 16:32 #77671 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Library card redesign

I still like the icons best for this job.

Then you are going nowhere. If the icon is at fault for confusion, using it anywhere leave the confusion. If you're going to remove it for 'simplicity' then remove it everywhere.

ease up, bud; you're coming off a little on the hostile side. If I came off as dismissive, I apologize. :) I was posting from my phone, and needed to be brief. For the record, I'm in favor of keeping the icons in both places, but maybe move it down to just above the cost? I might try to shoop something in a little while.

The biggest thing thing that's hemmed up new players that i've seen is during stealth/intercept exchanges, they very often see +1 Stealth on an action card, and want to use that +1 Stealth. Perhaps a change in how included stealth is expressed on actions? wouldn't it be clearer if instead of
+1 Stealth Action. on a card it was just 1 Stealth Action. and the + was removed?
Last edit: 31 Jul 2016 16:32 by self biased.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds