lightbulb Library card redesign

31 Jul 2016 18:41 #77681 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Library card redesign

I was previously in the transparent texture camp, but comparing those two side by side here I got to say that the super clean is actually clearly superior. (But both look extremely nice; one is just way better and clearer.

to be fair, the Ally background i used for the text box is way busier than I would otherwise have selected. It's a modification of the original background I already had ready, because I didn't want to go through the hassle of re-saturating the text box from the Ally Card and give it the same treatment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2016 22:25 - 31 Jul 2016 23:20 #77685 by Ke.
Replied by Ke. on topic Library card redesign
Here's Quicksilver Contemplation:

Now it's probably worth noting that the card was generated with 100% automation. Also, the above card includes a bleed of 2mm which will be required if printed and cut mechanically (this can be toggled on / off).

At the start of the week I though to myself what's the point of redesigning the cards if nothing happens with the redesign — someone is going to need to apply the design all the cards. So I gave myself the challenge of doing so for all library cards before the week was out.

I've written a program to generate redesigned cards for all 2192 Library cards and 1475 crypt cards based on the layouts I've posted. It's pretty much complete and the end results are really good. The only part outstanding is style bars / frames for the various crypt cards.

There are 41 different clans. Creating 41 different side bars is going to require some help; if anyone is interested hit me up on skype: ketec2 — I will create a separate thread about crypt cards specifically.
Last edit: 31 Jul 2016 23:20 by Ke..
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka

More
31 Jul 2016 22:49 - 01 Aug 2016 04:00 #77686 by Ke.
Here are some more examples from the program:

All 100% automated.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2016 04:00 by Ke.. Reason: More examples...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lönkka, Ankha, MarcusVitel, self biased

More
31 Jul 2016 23:07 #77687 by self biased

There are 41 different clans. Creating 41 different side bars is going to require some help; if anyone is interested hit me up on skype: ketec2 — I will create a separate thread about crypt cards specifically.

...oh, oh yes. I'm gaming right now, Good old masquerade tabletop. But yes. I would adore helping out.

More
01 Aug 2016 03:21 - 01 Aug 2016 03:28 #77689 by self biased
so, I have a few nits i'd like to pick.

Please, full black 'border, much like we already have. I'm also partial to the rounded corners.

I would like a reduction of redundant information. For example, with "War Ghoul" I don't feel we really need the redundancy of "Requires a Tzimisce, costs 3 pool." I feel that space is better used for "Ghoul with 5 Life, 4 Strength, and 0 Bleed." because that would be Bolded on the the card. also, you don't write "requires a minion with [discipline]." in the box, but you do write "requires a ready [Clan]." it creates an inconsistency between your Ally and your Retainers. Just sayin'.

I like the sidebars for Ally, Retainer, Equipment, and Master. Not a fan of the extra blood spatters on the Combat sidebar, and i'm not sure what the deal is with the lightning effect on the reaction card but it feels untidy for such a delightfully crisp layout. I'd like the action modifier to be the photo-negative of the action, as it is in the current scheme. failing that, a rich blue texture for action, and a golden yellow one for Modifier.

If we're not going to use the current pool cost icon (Which I very much think that we should to try to keep consistency between iterations), could the number be made larger, and the icon smaller? the Icon currently looks too large to my eyes, when compared to the number inside it.

Black box text might be best centered. I know it might make things weird, but with the left justification of the white box texts that's decidedly off center, it might work.

As I've said, I really like the design overall! I think we'll work well together, as our penchants draw ourselves opposite the other. when we can find something we either equally like, or are mutually unhappy with, it'll be a sign of a good compromise.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2016 03:28 by self biased.

More
01 Aug 2016 04:03 #77691 by Ke.

Please, full black 'border, much like we already have. I'm also partial to the rounded corners.

This merely denotes the bleed area (in printing terms) for professional print — it can effectively been ignored.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds