file What are common mistakes you've seen when teaching new players?

27 Feb 2017 18:52 #80884 by self biased
lamentably, I can totally see that happening, Lönkka.

I'm conflicted. If actions are listed as "1 stealth," and modifiers are written as "+stealth" that could go a ways to differentiate where stuff comes from. I'm not really a fan of it though. I'm also on the fence with (+stealth) at the end of sentences in the action.

Ultimately, I think that making it easier to differentiate between the modifier and action cardtypes is probably the way to go.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2017 14:14 #80953 by TwoRazorReign
How come you are on the fence? I ask not because I think you are wrong, but to understand why moving the stealth modifier to the end of the sentence in parentheses would be unappealing. I promote the idea of moving the stealth modifier to the end of the sentence because it uses a fundamental concept in writing, the "inverted pyramid" method of organizing information. Think of it like organizing the most important information first, followed by the less important information. In the case of action cards, this would be organized as requirements first, a description of what the card does next, and stealth modifier last. Do you think the stealth modifier has more importance than I am giving it, and therefore it should not be relegated to a parenthetical at the end of the sentence? Just curious.

More
03 Mar 2017 11:49 #80979 by Lönkka
Don't forget restrictions.

It is very annoying to read a full card's worth of text and only to see in the very last sentence a restrictions like "Only one X can be used during a round" etc.

Should be along there with requirements.
Not absolutely sure which should be first. Probably restrictions.

Finnish :POT: Politics!
The following user(s) said Thank You: TwoRazorReign

• Lönkka
  • Antediluvian
  • Antediluvian
  • War=peace, freedom=slavery, ignorance=strength
More
03 Mar 2017 13:27 #80982 by self biased
im still wondering if action modifiers are too difficult to separate from actions in terms of icon and background. I was recently reminded by a friend about the time a new player tried to use Govern as a modifier and then proceeded to ask what's the difference after blocks were declined.

More
03 Mar 2017 14:21 #80984 by elotar
For me it's obvious for a very long time that card type icons does not work and there need to be serious layout differences between actions and modifiers.

Like making one of them horizontal or something.

:splat: NC Russia
:DEM::san::nec::cap4:

More
03 Mar 2017 14:24 #80985 by TwoRazorReign
I also think part of the problem is that the word "Action" is included in both card types. I think "Action modifier" should be called something else.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds