lightbulb Crypt card redesign

21 Sep 2016 10:12 - 21 Sep 2016 10:15 #78465 by Bloodartist
Replied by Bloodartist on topic Crypt card redesign

The empty white space looks tragic on the cards without much text — they almost look unfinished, like someone doesn't care.

Bystander talking: Magic the gathering generally deals with this problem by having a fixed size text box, but if it would be too empty, some flavor text is added.

Flavor text is a quote or original piece of text loosely connected to the card in question. It has no rules significance and just basically serves as filler. Flavor text is usually written in italics to mark it different from actual rules text.

Here's an example that has no special abilities:

Example of combined rules text and flavor text

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Attachments:
Last edit: 21 Sep 2016 10:15 by Bloodartist.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2016 12:48 #78496 by 666Raziel
Replied by 666Raziel on topic Crypt card redesign
Well, earlier on this topic, few of us suggested that we add flavor text on crypt cards.
The conversation did not became very productive. :(

If we are going to discuss about it again, I had a new idea : what if flavor text were add in "grey box" like draft effect on the current cards ?
It could still fulfill its purpose and no one would mistake it for a game-effect. B)

More
29 Sep 2016 00:53 #78542 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Crypt card redesign

Well, earlier on this topic, few of us suggested that we add flavor text on crypt cards.
The conversation did not became very productive. :(

If we are going to discuss about it again, I had a new idea : what if flavor text were add in "grey box" like draft effect on the current cards ?
It could still fulfill its purpose and no one would mistake it for a game-effect. B)

when i look at that grey box describing draft effects I feel like i'm a puppy being kicked repeatedly in the urethra. please no.

More
29 Sep 2016 13:31 - 29 Sep 2016 13:49 #78550 by self biased
So here's another run at it. It's basically the same layout as the current crypt card with a few minor changes. the green marble bar has been eliminated (which i've always hated), the Advanced icon has been moved to after the vampire's name, the text box is significantly bigger, as is the portrait oval. also the group number has been moved to the opposite side of the text box, which blissfully, no one has complained about yet. Also Also, I removed 'advanced' from the bold text and slapped 'infernal' there because i wanted to remove a bit of redundant information, and i didn't want to fuck around with getting the font size juuuuussst right and the process is balls.

this new layout feels much like a 'roided out version of the original layout; a modernized gothic.

edit: i'll do a few more as I don't yet have access to the revised Library textures.
Last edit: 29 Sep 2016 13:49 by self biased.

More
29 Sep 2016 14:15 #78553 by 666Raziel
Replied by 666Raziel on topic Crypt card redesign
Could you make a try with the portrait centered ?
I think it will be better even if Disciplines cover some of the artwork.

More
29 Sep 2016 15:46 #78555 by self biased
as promised:

the Gangrel antitribu can really go either way in terms of a 'contrast' or 'highlight' outline of the portrait.

666Raziel: sure, but that will result in more frequent overhang of the Vampire Name on the portrait. one of the things that really frustrated me when i was doing the Full Bleed stuff almost two years ago was that there was a padding that was needed at the top of the portraits that I couldn't always get.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.214 seconds