lightbulb Crypt card redesign

29 Sep 2016 16:31 #78557 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Crypt card redesign
as requested:

I'm not a fan of these. I can live with a little overhang into the portrait oval, but there's just too much at this point. Maaaaybe if we slung the disciplines along the top of the text box over the bottom of the portrait it could work, though i'm currently not inclined to go much further along this path. My big thing is that the off-center portrait gives us a very clear view of the background frame which goes toward aiding in recognition, as does the less opaque text box, though i'm tempted to make the box more opaque.

In the original set, the oval is the same proportions as the previous one, but about a third again as large. Crypt cards have a very asymmetrical feel to them, so I decided to capitalize on that. The portrait frame butts up against where the bar ought to be. I feel like this layout has a pretty good flow to it, and also allows for a place for a set icon to live.

Also, Ben, I see what you mean about the Capacity bubble: that thing is the fuckin' Devil for laying out text. Can we move it somewhere?

and yes, I realize that there are oodles of procedural inconsistencies. I'm a super amateur with the Photoshop.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Sep 2016 17:51 #78558 by Ankha
Replied by Ankha on topic Crypt card redesign

Also, Ben, I see what you mean about the Capacity bubble: that thing is the fuckin' Devil for laying out text. Can we move it somewhere?

With automatic layout, it works fine.

Prince of Paris, France
Ratings Coordinator, Rules Director

More
29 Sep 2016 18:01 #78559 by alek
Replied by alek on topic Crypt card redesign
Very nice. I mean version with portrait moved a little to the right.
It gives kind of modern retro feel. Suits vtes really good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: self biased

More
30 Sep 2016 08:32 #78560 by 666Raziel
Replied by 666Raziel on topic Crypt card redesign

I'm not a fan of these. I can live with a little overhang into the portrait oval, but there's just too much at this point. Maaaaybe if we slung the disciplines along the top of the text box over the bottom of the portrait it could work, though i'm currently not inclined to go much further along this path. My big thing is that the off-center portrait gives us a very clear view of the background frame which goes toward aiding in recognition, as does the less opaque text box, though i'm tempted to make the box more opaque.

In the original set, the oval is the same proportions as the previous one, but about a third again as large. Crypt cards have a very asymmetrical feel to them, so I decided to capitalize on that. The portrait frame butts up against where the bar ought to be. I feel like this layout has a pretty good flow to it, and also allows for a place for a set icon to live.

and yes, I realize that there are oodles of procedural inconsistencies. I'm a super amateur with the Photoshop.

Thank you for testing.
Personally I prefer the cards with centered artwork. The fact that the oval is cut in your first try looks very weird to me. As if the cards were misprinted. :S

That said, I agree with you about the fact that those latest tries hide too much of the background.
Maybe a smaller (but still centered) portrait would be better. :)

More
01 Oct 2016 06:20 - 01 Oct 2016 06:21 #78562 by Bloodartist
Replied by Bloodartist on topic Crypt card redesign

as requested:

These look really nice. I like the larger and more obvious clan symbol.

Note: its best that oval itself is centered, but the artwork within doesn't need to be.

ps. I think the capacity bubble should remain in the corner (I wrote elsewhere that 'costs' should be in card corners)

A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes.
—Gotthold Ephraim Lessing

Last edit: 01 Oct 2016 06:21 by Bloodartist.

More
03 Oct 2016 01:09 #78574 by self biased
Replied by self biased on topic Crypt card redesign
as an anecdote, I had a newer player use Ke's cards tonight. They said having certain special abilities be in the black box ended up being more confusing for them. they also said that they didn't like the text boxes being different sizes.

More
Moderators: AnkhaKraus
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds